• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Diners

I have often thought to have a "VIP" dining experience, you have to be a "good" diner. For example, a bad theatre audience can hurt a wonderful play. Who, for you, is your best audience or the people for whom you most like to cook?

A restaurant meal has marked similarities to a theatrical experience. They both cost money and both involve goodwill on the part of performers and audience alike to succeed.

My favourite diner is one who has come to enjoy the meal. This may seem trite and obvious, what I mean is someone who is interested to take the place on its own terms and get the best from it.  

I am as unimpressed by those who wish to chuck money around as I am by those who order one coffee and then drink from the cup alternately to save money - one of each of these types this week thus far.

Although, I don't tour the tables, I do get a lot of feedback from Anja and our waitress Saskia on how they think people are enjoying the evening. It is an enormous boost if things are going well and a worry if the only sound is clinking cutlery and whispers