• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calissons

mikeycook

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for Calissons (English preferred, but if necessary I will translate). There is one in the recent Larousse Gastronomique, but it is somewhat generally written.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Even with that recipe, I'm sure I'll never make calissons, which are pretty much Food of the Gods, as far as I'm concerned. That texture seems impossible to achieve at home, and where would one get crystallized melon? However, the rest of the recipe looks fabulous and now I think I'll try to make some calisson ice cream, but with bought candies. Thanks for that link, swisskaese, that's a neat site.

and where would one get crystallized melon?

I could crystalize my own melon, couldn't I? I would just need a good book on preserves. I imagine getting the Cavaillon melons would be a trick. I would have to choose a similarly flavored melon. Any ideas on close matches (Charentais?)

Here is a recipe I found today in French.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

and where would one get crystallized melon?

I could crystalize my own melon, couldn't I? I would just need a good book on preserves. I imagine getting the Cavaillon melons would be a trick. I would have to choose a similarly flavored melon. Any ideas on close matches (Charentais?)

Here is a recipe I found today in French.

It is a good excuse to go to Provence. :rolleyes:

Cavaillon melon is kind of/sort of like cantelope. I am not sure that cantelope would give you the same flavour.

Unfortunately, I do not know where you can buy candied Cavaillon melon.

Canteloupe is a good choice as well. I think I am going to try candying one of each (Canteloupe and Charentais) and see how that works.

Thanks for all the input.

~ Fernand Point

The traditional melon is the pastèque à confire, a kind of watermelon, aka zucca melon. Click here.

Good luck with the calissons, by the way. Have heard they're a challenge to make well, even for professional candy makers. Me, I just pay through the nose for the ones from Aix.

Edited by carswell (log)

The traditional melon is the pastèque à confire, a kind of watermelon, aka zucca melon. Click here.

Good luck with the calissons, by the way. Have heard they're a challenge to make well, even for professional candy makers. Me, I just pay through the nose for the ones from Aix.

Do you know what Zucca melon tastes like (I am sure it does not taste like Zucchini, right?) Anyone know of sources in the U.S.?

Wait, hold that thought...

I am editing because I was searching around and, in fact, Zucca does seem to taste like Zucchini. Well, maybe not exactly, but zucca melon is listed as a type of gourd, with zucchini or yellow squash being recommended substitutes. So, it is not melon to my american way of thinking, but rather summer squash. I guess I'm off to attempt candied zucchini. :smile:

Edited by mikeycook (log)

~ Fernand Point

Do you know what Zucca melon tastes like (I am sure it does not taste like Zucchini, right?)  Anyone know of sources in the U.S.?

Wait, hold that thought...

I am editing because I was searching around and, in fact, Zucca does seem to taste like Zucchini.  Well, maybe not exactly, but zucca melon is listed as a type of gourd, with zucchini or yellow squash being recommended substitutes.  So, it is not melon to my american way of thinking, but rather summer squash.  I guess I'm off to attempt candied zucchini.  :smile:

Have never seen a zucca melon or a pastèque à confire, for that matter. And a little poking around the Web now has me wondering whether they are the same thing. (My original information comes from a Government of Canada database, though I have also seen the two equated on other websites.) A French friend who knows about these things assures me that pastèque à confire is indeed a melon, a yellow-fleshed one at that, and not zucchini-like except in shape. It's also called citre and, less commonly, gigerine in French. The Latin name is Citrullus lanatus (zucchini is Cucurbita pepo). Will research this some more when I can find a few minutes.