• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Van Mag Restaurant Awards

I think that a useful adjunct to the RA issue is the investment of $8.95 in The Eating & Drinking Guide to BC, which features 800 restaurants and food service providers.

Jamie, where would one be able to purchase this guide if one did not live in BC? :smile:

And for people like me - where do I get one if I dod live in BC? Vancouver, too? :cool:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

The Eating and Drinking Guide is available at most major newstands in Vancouver (that I have noticed).

I've seen it for sure at "Don't Tell Your Mother" magazine store on W. 4th - same block as Pastis.

I think that a useful adjunct to the RA issue is the investment of $8.95 in The Eating & Drinking Guide to BC, which features 800 restaurants and food service providers.

Jamie, where would one be able to purchase this guide if one did not live in BC? :smile:

We'll have one waiting for you as a wedding present.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

We'll have one waiting for you as a wedding present.

Now that's my kind of wedding present!! :wub:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Just a thought. Is it necessary for the judges to actually go to the restaurants they are voting on before they vote. I have not seen any of the judges at the restaurant I work in.

Shouldn't they have to visit in order to be able to make a educated vote. Or is reputation alone enough, or who you know, or who advertises, or who sends out gift certificates.

Hmmmm....

Jamie,

Thanks for the response. It's nice to hear that Richmond may be reinstalled a geographic category next year. If it does happen, I'll be very interested to see how the area's contendors weigh in against some of Vancouver' perennial winners.

Still, Pink Pearl inclusion in the "Fine Dining" category baffles me, to say nothing of its win. I've eaten there on two separate occasions. In both instances, our dishes were cold, the restaurant itself...well, let's just say a far cry from what I'd classify as "fine dining".

"I can only respond as one judge, but can tell you that I have had 16.0+ point meals at each of the restaurants that you mention with the exception of Caffe de Medici, where I have been less successful. And I might add that the jury is still out after Julio Gonzalez-Perini's sale of the Villa."

Fair enough. I'll admit to having had some less than successful outings at all of the above-mentioned restaurants. That said, I've found Cioppino's and, CinCin in particular, much less consistent (even disastrous on one visit to CinCin with my in-laws last year).

"This category does not currently contemplate roast beef, but perhaps that's worthy of consideration."

Truth be told, I'm a bit of a steak snob. Ever since I visited Tokyo and tried Kobe beef for the first time, the North American offerings have simply never measured up. I suppose if I tried a Kobe roast beef on my next trip to Japan, my opinion of the Keg's version could change.

And good on both CinCin and Blue Water for receiving an honorable mention in the Best Last Course category, although if I had a hankering for dessert there are roughly two dozen alternate establishments I'd check out first.

I'd be intrigued to see your list. Personally, I rate Thierry Busset's desserts and Sebastien le Goff's and chef Andreas's' cheeses highly. And for that matter, Busset's breads are amongst the best in any city restaurant."

I can't argue cheeses and breads, so I'll defer to your expertise on these. As for my dessert destination - I'll start working on my list.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com