• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Parents Coffee.

BeJam

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like there are two general paths. One is to make the coffee myself with my beans and equipment and the other is to just appreciate my parents as they are and accept that I'm not drinking their coffee everyday.

My parents are generally laid back, but they'd view my home-kit as a bit of an insult (although they would never admit to it.) In the summer I can cart over cold-brewed concentrate without fear of ill feelings but the rest of the time I will attempt the latter suggestion but will at least try to get them to use 8 O’clock ground at the store and see where that gets us.

Bode

Thanks for the suggestions.  It looks like there are two general paths.  One is to make the coffee myself with my beans and equipment and the other is to just appreciate my parents as they are and accept that I'm not drinking their coffee everyday.

My parents are generally laid back, but they'd view my home-kit as a bit of an insult (although they would never admit to it.)  In the summer I can cart over cold-brewed concentrate without fear of ill feelings but the rest of the time I will attempt the latter suggestion but will at least try to get them to use 8 O’clock ground at the store and see where that gets us.

On family gatherings I simply take charge of coffemaking and am able to bring my own coffee and things work fine, the real trouble is when my wife and I stop by to visit my parents. We get a cup of cheap instant which is their regular drink. It is vile and un drinkable. I just act like I am sipping it and than wait till it is cold and get rid of it.

great stories of such a common scene with the old folks. my own mother is a real foodie but really drops the ball when it comes to beverages. we have talked about it many times, but she doesn't change. i've never figured it out.

they grew up in tough times, and even that they are comfortable now, treating themselves to some fine things is limited. they have a nice house, nice cars, and take themselves out to nice restaurants (my dad always ordering the cheapest wine). they like, and know, a good piece of meat. my mother happily pays more for organic produce. but - ability to identify quality is limited to certain specific areas, and they just don't seem to care. oh my, oh my.. they drink boxed wine.

identifying good quality in a glass of wine or a cup of coffee comes naturaly to some, others don't really care to try, or spend the energy convincing themselves their swill is good swill. lazy.

coffee is for break time. people want coffee to be easy. so they take the easy route.

niether can they find enough value added in your great cup to warrant spending a little more money or time improving their coffee. i would say this applies to the masses of coffee drinkers! cheap coffee is so popular, and its SAD. this is why good coffee needs you guys running around with your press pots and fresh roasts!

how ironic it would be if kids of this foodie generation grow up to drink cheap coffee, complaining about how when they visit us when we're old that we still spend all this time fussing over 'just a cup of coffee'. how will we feel when they bring their own nescafe?

Edited by hopkin (log)

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting a real kick outta this thread...

Whoooboy... my parents went from making fairly good coffee (ground the beans, used a good machine, etc) just straight downhill. Went from a cone filter to basket, went from Krups to Mr. Coffee (or Sunbeam,) went from grinding their own to using Chock Full O'Nuts. And not enough for the amount of coffee they brew, I might add.

It's all the same to them. :huh:

Just as my taste in coffee was improving, theirs was declining. Where did I go wrong as a foodie child?

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org