• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tammylc - (and Liam)

tammylc

So, there's no common meal on Fridays or Saturdays. In addition, my hubbie is out tonight (I had mom's night out last night, he's having a dad's night out tonight), so Liam and I are on our own. What to make for dinner?

We cook so rarely that there's not very much food in the house. We'll often try to plan a meal with friends on Friday or Saturday nights, but I'm tired and just want to head to bed early tonight. So I'm attempting a little something we call "invoking the power of cohousing."

Here's the email I sent out to the community a few minutes ago:

I've got most of the ingredients I need to make the leek and butternut squash risotto I'm craving for dinner tonight, but I don't have any stock. Eric's going to be out for the evening, and Liam is napping - anyone have a can or two of stock they can loan me? You'd be welcome to come for dinner too!

Thanks,

Tammy

So far I've gotten one email tipping me off about some leftover stock in the common house fridge, but no one taking me up on my offer of dinner. I'll let y'all know if anything pans out.

We've been able to invoke the power of cohousing for some of the oddest things. Fresh ginger and fresh cilantro at 9 pm at night was notable.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

awwwww, babies (and kitties!) :wub:

Lincoln Log is a great name for a cheese.

thanks for doing this, Tammy.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Okay... all about Zingerman's.

Once up a time (1982) Ari Weinzwig and Paul Saginaw founded Zingerman's Delicatessan. It was a little shop, crammed full of stuff, with a couple of tables in the corner. Fast forward 23 years, and it's become something of a local empire, with several small associate companies making up the Zingerman's Family of Businesses.

But it still begins and ends with the deli.

gallery_28661_3_38642.jpg

Inside, you can order sandwiches. And lots of people do - on summer Saturdays the line stretches out the door and around the corner. And they're good sandwiches, with generous and high quality ingredients. They are also very expensive sandwiches. But that's not all there is to the deli.

There's cheese - lots of it.

gallery_28661_3_9822.jpg

gallery_28661_3_15630.jpg

gallery_28661_3_23226.jpg

Smoked fish and cured meats, too.

gallery_28661_3_50247.jpg

gallery_28661_3_7975.jpg

Did I mention the olive oil and vinegar?

gallery_28661_3_61091.jpg

I think you get the gist. It's a veritable cornucopia of the best and the tastiest food from around the world. It's not cheap. You can find some of the same products or their equivalents elsewhere for less money. But it's certainly the only place in my town where you can get it all in one place. And know, when you're buying it, that it's likely been made by a small producer with exacting quality standards, and meets the high bar set by Ari and his crew.

The other amazing thing about the deli is its service. Zingerman's is world reknowned for the quality of it's service, and that led to the founding of one of the ZFob's - ZingTrain, which offers training and consulting services and seminars. They've even published a book - the Zingerman's Guide to Good Service. Zingerman's employees will got out of their way to give you a good experience. Like the person at the Roadshow the other day, offering to cut me a piece off of a whole coffee cake because they didn't have any of the scones I wanted. Or the time that a friend and I were building ourselves a picnic from the deli and wanted some D'Artagnan smoked duck breast. But we didn't want an entire breast. "No problem" they said, and sold us just a half of the shrinkwrapped package.

The most important thing to know about Zingerman's if you visit (and you really should visit), is that you can sample absolutely everything that they sell. Every wanted to know what real Gold Label Balsalmic Vinegar tastes like? Just ask - they'll be happy to offer you a sample. Looking for the perfect EVOO? Their knowledgeable staff will take you on a guided tasting tour of the shelves until you find just the right one. And of course you can taste as many cheeses as you like before making your final selection.

And what would cheese be without bread to go with it? This is where one of my favorite members of the ZFob appears. Zingerman's Bakehouse is where the excellent artisanal loaves that stock the shelves at the deli and other locations around town, as well as various and sundry pastries, are made.

It's located in an industrial park not far from where I work, and has an unassuming exterior.

gallery_28661_3_36008.jpg

As I described early, there's a small retail outlet located there, and the Bakeshop is a great place to pick up a relatively cheap (but extremely tasty) lunch. And don't forget to pick up a loaf of bread or something for later.

gallery_28661_3_62051.jpg

gallery_28661_3_30354.jpg

Recently, they've even started making their own chocolate bars. Ridiculously priced at $4.95 apiece, I still can't help myself from grabbing a ZZang Bar about once a month.

gallery_28661_3_77083.jpg

Here's a shot of where the real work of the Bakehouse happens. They offer tours, and once a month or so there's the opportunity to sign up for a bread baking class and bring your own loaf home.

gallery_28661_3_4048.jpg

Zingerman's Creamery, where all last night's delicious cheeses were made, is located right next door to the Bakehouse. They too, offer tours (as annarborfoodie mentioned) and have a small retail outlet.

But let's step back to the deli for a moment, shall we? Long gone are the days when two tables stuffed in the corner were enough. So some time ago, they bought and converted the house next door into Zingerman's Next Door.

gallery_28661_3_20468.jpg

As the sign says, they have desserts, coffee, and seating for the deli. I love sampling the chocolate truffles from a variety of producers. And the Creamery gelatos, of course.

gallery_28661_3_19495.jpg

Tastings, like the one I attended last night, are held in the upstairs seating area, and they've recently started holding family style dinners there too. In the summer, seating is more than doubled by the patio out back, but it can be hard to find a seat in the winter. At least it *was* - until this year when they covered the patio with a heated tent ("The Big Top") that provides nearly year round comfort.

Just about a year ago Zingerman's expanded in a new direction, with the founding of Zingerman's Roadhouse, a full service restaurant serving classic American roadhouse food with Zingerman's famous focus on quality. I was originally unimpressed with the Roadhouse, but have started to come around. I cringe at paying $12 for a hamburger, but it really is a damn good burger. I've had a lot to say about the Roadhouse in the Heartland forum so, for the sake of brevity (ha-ha, says anyone still reading this tome), I'll just point you over there.

gallery_28661_3_50429.jpg

One thing about the Roadhouse that I am unambiguously pleased about is Zingerman's Roadshow, located in its parking lot.

gallery_28661_3_23435.jpg

That's right, it's an Airstream trailer doubling as a drive-thru! They have coffee and breakfast pastries, and a variety of lunch foods, as described elsewhere in the blog. It's open Monday through Saturday from 6 am to 2 pm. Theoretically it hits the road on Sundays, but I've never actually seen it move.

gallery_28661_3_95266.jpg

And of course, it has that same great Zingerman's service.

gallery_28661_3_13236.jpg

Other members of the FoB include Zingerman's Catering (who catered my picnic and canoe wedding 8 years ago) as well as the newest arrival, Zingerman's Coffee Company, roasting and blending beans for the rest of the FoB.

By now you're probably thinking they've put something addictive or compelling in that food. And who knows - you might just be right. Zingerman's is not without its flaws - it's overpriced, and a little full of itself. But its reputation is well earned, and (as is obvious), I'm definitely a fan.

And if all of this has made you want to try the Zingerman's experience for yourself, well, you're in luck - they do mail order. Of course.

(A really interesting profile of the company can be found online in this Inc. Magazine article entitled "The Coolest Small Company in America.")

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm pleased to say that I was successful in invoking the power of cohousing for dinner last night. Within minutes of my post to the email list looking for stock, one person responded telling me about some leftovers in the common house refrigerator. A little while later I got a reply from someone offering chicken, veggie or mushroom varieties. A couple of emails later, followed by a knock on my door, and I had a carton of organic free range chicken stock and a date for dinner!

Tammy's Impromptu Bacon, Leek and Babyfood Risotto

3 slices Nueske's applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips

1 leek, thinly sliced

1/2 onion, finely diced

1 1/4 c arborio rice

3 tbsp vermouth

4 c of stock, simmering

12 cubes of pureed roasted butternut squash (about 1-1/2 cups for those of you without a baby in the house)

2 tbsp butter

1/2 c grated parmesan

handful of chopped parsley

I sauteed the bacon until it was a little bit crispy and the fat was rendered, then added the leek and the onion and sauteed them until they were soft. Added the rice and toasted it for a couple of minutes. Since I didn't have any leftover wine in the fridge and didn't want to open a bottle from the basement, I substituted a splash of dry vermouth. Then I added the simmering stock in ladleful increments, stirring until absorbed between each ladle (I assume you all know how to make risotto). Meanwhile, I cooked the squash puree in a nonstick pan over medium heat to drive off moisture and concentrate the flavors. When the rice was finished I added the squash, butter and parmesan and some freshly ground black pepper. It was a lacking a certain something, so I went over to the common house looking for some green onions or fresh herbs, and lucked into some parsley which added the hit of freshness it needed.

Of course, actually making the risotto was a bit more of a complicated affair than this describes. Liam was being a little fussy and clingy, and it's hard to cook while holding a baby. When I was doing my chopping for my mise en place I put him in the backpack to keep him out of the way of the knife, but he got tired of that pretty quick. While I was sauteeing the bacon I put him into his highchair to play with some toys and munch on cheerios. And when I was just ladling in stock and stirring, I had him in the sling. It's rare that I try to cook all on my own with the baby, and this experience made me even more grateful for common meals!

So with Liam in the sling and a bowl of risotto in hand, I walked down to the other end of the community to join Jeff and Kelly for dinner. They have two kids - one three months younger than Liam and another who is 4 year. The 4 year old had already eaten, and two neighborhood boys (5 year old twins) showed up on his doorstep looking to play just as I arrived, so that kept him nicely occupied. Kelly made a nice salad with greens, avocado and sunflower seeds, and cooked up some very tasty turkey smoked sausage, and with the risotto we called that dinner. It was a bit of a haphazard affair, as dinner with babies often is (their little guy wasn't feeling well and was fussing, so some baby juggling was required). But as Kelly said, it's nice to have dinner with people who understand that!

Liam thought the risotto was very tasty (and since he's pretty much given up eating squash on its on, this was a good use of 12 cubes of baby food). He also ate a little bit of avocado, some peaches and some pears. Kelly was just starting to whip up a box of brownies when Liam began yawning and I realized it was past his bedtime, so I brought him home to his bed. And then I had to do the dishes - usually that's Eric's job, on the rare occasions when we cook at home.

A lot of work, but I do enjoy cooking, so I'm glad it all worked out. And the risotto was exactly what I'd been craving.

No pictures for any of this, so here's a cute shot of Liam that I haven't had a chance to use yet.

gallery_28661_3_41841.jpg

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

We all know what risotto looks like, I think Liam is an adorable substitute. The happiness of the home he is growing up in comes through very strongly in your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

It's gonna be a busy, busy day - hard to fit in the blogging, but I'll do my best. Cause there's still a lot to talk about.

This turned out to be a really good week for me to blog, because yesterday I went to visit a foodie friend and we had some fine culinary adventures, starting with an (indoor) picnic lunch assembled from Zingerman's and ending with a four course dinner with wine at Emily's in Northville. So that's what's coming up, assuming I manage to write about it. There aren't any pictures - I forgot my camera and besides that, I don't personally feel comfortable taking pictures in high end restaurants. While I went off for mom's day out, Liam and his dad spent the day getting some great guy-to-guy bonding time.

After the tasting on Thursday, I used my 20% off coupon to buy some picnic fixings. I got a round of the Creamery's Manchester cheese I wrote about in my tasting notes, a wedge of 2 year Remeker, a crespone salami, and 4 assorted chocolate truffles (rosemary, lemongrass, cardamom and lavender/rose, if memory serves). Yesterday morning I stopped at Arbor Farms and grabbed a baguette, some grapes, and 4 tiny satsuma tangerines. It made a perfectly lovely lunch to snack on while catching up with an old friend.

A few hours later we headed out ot Northville for dinner. We went out early, thinking we'd wonder around, maybe visit some shops. But all the little stuff shops on the main street were closed, even though it wasn't even 6 yet. So instead we drove around Northville looking at the lovely, lovely old houses. Lots of gingerbread and great colors. I love houses with odd colored doors - purple, blue, green.

Emily's has been around for just over 10 years. It's been on my "to-eat" list for a while, and it lived up to expectations. One of Detroit's highest rated restaurants since it opened, chef/owner Rick Halberg recently brought on a new chef de cuisine, Gabriel Lacouture, formerly of Tribute.

We showed up for dinner a little early and were seated right away. Saturday nights Emily's offers a three course dinner with several choices for each course, price based on the entree you choose (and any supplemental pricing from the other courses).

We started with an amuse bouche of venison carpaccio, topped with a ceasar-kind of salad of romaine with parmesan and little croutons. I swear our server told us it had a cider vinaigrette, but later the table next to us was told lemon vinaigrette, which was more in keeping with what we tasted. It was a fine amuse. Not as much flavor from the venison as I would have liked, though.

As is our usual practice when eating out, we'd order two different items for each course, eat half, and then switch plates. So our first courses were:

Smoked sturgeon - Smoked sturgeon on corn and fingerling potato salad with sorrel puree, whole grain mustard-creme fraiche, micro celery and American sturgeon caviar

and

Mushroom Tart - Sauteed wild mushrooms in a flaky pastry shell with shaved Gruyere and Porcini ceam, micro watercress and fried parsnip

These were both very good. I'm not sure that I'd ever had sorrel before, but as soon as I tasted the sturgeon dish I thought "oh, and that must be the sorrel." The texture and flavor of the smoked sturgeon was very nice, and the accompaniments all blended really well together. Very pretty plating, too. I could have used just a smidge more caviar though. The mushroom tart smelled fabulous, and tasted just as good. Next up, the salad course:

Emily's Greens - Mixed organic greens, Ricotta Salata, dried cherries, crisp shallots and carmalized shallot vinaigrette

and

Arugula - Arugula, endive, fresh pear and lemon vinaigrette on a bed of golden bett Carpaccio with Roquefort and spiced walnuts

The Emily's Greens was clearly superior. All of the flavors just sung together, and the crisp shallots were absolutely delightful. It being Michigan, you know there are going to be dried cherries in the house salad, but they played nicely and weren't just a cliche in this one. I really wanted to like the arugula salad more, seeing as how I love arugula. And actually, until it was my turn to taste the Emily's Greens, I thought it was pretty good. But the comparison showed it to be a disparate collection of flavors, lacking the harmony that was so nice in the other.

For our mains, we chose:

Duck - Sauteed Culver Farm breast and brik roll of confit, scallions and carrots on a bed for mixed greens with pear and Roquefort, a lentil and bacon vinaigrette, and fresh herbs.

and

Kurobuta Pork Chop - Seared Kurobuta pork chop with haricots vert, baby beets, carrots, spaetzle and mixed mushrooms. Served with roasted garlic-mustard game reduction

According to our server, Kurobuta is to pork what Kobe or Waygu is to beef. It only takes three words to describe my reaction to this dish - OH MY GOD. I've never had pork so good. It was still a little pink in the middle, as it should be, and certainly the tenderest, juiciest and most flavorful piece of pork I've ever had the (intense) pleasure of eating. The sauce was stunning, enhancing and amplifying the pork. I knew this was going to be good just from the fabulous aromas wafting off the dish as it was set in front of me. It took a strong will to pass this one over at the halfway point. The duck was doomed to be disappointing in comparison. It was a perfectly serviceable dish. The brik roll of confit was really rich and decadent, the breast nicely rare with a good bit of crisp skin on each slice. The accompaniments were fine, although too reminiscent of the earlier arugula salad. I don't know if my impression would be better if I'd had this first, though.

We washed all of this lovely food down with a bottle of Burgundy (Chambolle-Musigny, Drouhin 1996). We were disappointed that the restaurant did not have any actual Burgundy glasses, especially given that they've got a bottle of Romanee-Conti on the menu. If I was paying $350 for that wine, I'd want the right glass. Our wine was less expensive than that, and a lovely accompaniment to our food choices. Smooth, lucious, fruity, I drank a little more than I should have and was quite giggly by the end of the meal.

We were pretty full by the time the dessert menu was presented, so we opted to split the Dessert Degustation. This was three little sampler portions of dessert (although only one of them was on the menu in full size). These were pretty disappointing and not very interesting. The frozen yogurt souffle with raspberries and vanilla sauce was eh, the trifle of vanilla sponge cake with lemon curd, whipped cream, cape gooseberries, pineapple, kiwi and raspberries was unremarkable (although the lemon curd was tasty) and the Chocolate Marquis with Banana Ice Cream and Creme Anglais was the best of the lot, with the most intensely banana ice cream I've ever tasted. In retrospect, I think we would have been happier splitting the Chocolate Truffle Cake - A chocolate-blood orange truffle cake with blood orange caramel and house made pistachio gelato. Doesn't that sound good? Alas, I was too full at the end to tell her to bring one out.

All in all a really nice meal. Service was relaxed and friendly - overly formal service just doesn't fly in Detroit, and we're relaxed and friendly types anyway (*especially* by the end of that bottle of wine...) I love my baby boy, but it was really nice to have a day away and to talk about stuff other than babies, you know?

And speaking of my baby boy, he even let me sleep in for an extra half hour today. Given that I didn't get home until midnight (about 2-3 hours after my usual bedtime) that was really mighty nice of him. Not to mention that he's been plyaing happily by himself in the kitchen while I wrote this tome.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

After a horrible week, it was a pleasure to enjoy the morning Java catching up on your blog. I miss Ann Arbor, the star of Michigan. I lived Lansing for 4 years and spent another 4 years about 5 minutes north of Flint.

The pictures of the wine store and deli remind me of happy times kicking around Ann Arbor and all of Michigan. Its a neat place to live. One of many indelible food memories is the Blue Nile Ethiopian Restaurant in Detroit. But I digress....

Loving to feed large crowds living as a part of your community looks quite inviting. Also attractive I imagine is the sense of community you share with the other members. Sharing joys and burdens with many on a near daily basis must forge some very strong relationships.

Thank you for bringing us into your home and community.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Time for another shopping list.

With all the excitement of the week, I bet you all forgot that I'm cooking common meal tonight, right? Usually I start planning a couple/few days in advance, but not this time - I haven't had a moment to spare until this morning.

I have 17 meat eaters, 10 vegetarians and 5 kids signed up for dinner tonight. I created 6 late sign up slots, so I could potentially have as many as 33 adults. Which, at $5/head, gives me a budget of $165 or so. Could be tight - we'll see how it goes.

Here's my shopping list:

2 lbs dried bulgar wheat

4 tsp dried mint

4 bunches of parsley

2 bunches green onion

12 cucumbers

4 tomatoes

8 cans of chick peas (I could save a lot of money by using dried, but it's too late now)

4 c of tahini

8 lbs eggplant

3 lg containers yogurt

4 1/2 lbs lamb or beef for kabobs

1 pkg fresh oregano

4 heads of garlic

a bunch of olive oil

enough lemons to make 5 cups of lemon juice

some feta cheese (how much will depend on how my budgets coming together)

8 packages of pita bread

2 trays of baklava

Okay - time to go shopping.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Tammy, you mentioned making latkes for 70 and doing a Passover meal - What happens around the big holidays - Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.? Do you have common meals or are those usually spent on your own?

Tammy, you mentioned making latkes for 70 and doing a Passover meal -  What happens around the big holidays - Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.?  Do you have common meals or are those usually spent on your own?

We don't schedule a common meal for Thanksgiving or Christmas. One of our neighbors has hosted a potluck Thanksgiving dinner in their home for the last two years, and Eric and I hosted a potluck Christmas at our house this year. Both events had about 16 people in attendance, a combination of community members and friends.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

So last night was my big common meal cooking night. Unfortunately, it was only okay. At least one person missed the falafels from last time (you were right, Rachel). It wasn't bad, just not very exciting for the work required.

I ended up taking 8 late signups, so ended up with something like 34 adults and 7 kids. I followed the shopping list up above pretty closely, so I won't go over that again. The menu, to review:

gallery_28661_3_85.jpg

I headed into the kitchen around 3 and put the bulgar on to cook, then pierced the skin of the eggplants and through them into the oven to roast. When the bulgar was soft I spread it out on a sheet pan and put it into the fridge to cool. Then I proceeded to hack up the lamb I'd found.

Ideally I'd have liked a nice simple boneless loin to work with, but I didn't have time to run all over town to get one. So I just grabbed a 5 1/2 lb leg piece from Kroger and cut the meat off the bone. Trimming it took quite a while, and I'm sure I didn't do the most professional job of it... I made a marinade of garlic, olive oil and oregano and set it aside to soak.

I set Keith, one my assistant cooks, to juicing up the 20 lemons I'd bought. They were nice juicy lemons, so we ended up with about 8 cups of juice - more than we needed, but it's nice to have extra. Meanwhile, I tasked Hope with cutting up all of the veggies for the tabouli - parsley, green onions, tomatoes, cucumber. Unfortunately, she cut the parsley a little to course for my preferences, but I didn't realize it until we were mixing it all together and it was too late. Here's the tabouli all plated up and heading out to the tables.

gallery_28661_3_41442.jpg

I worked on the hummus, giving frequent tastes to Keith and Hope until we got the right balance of flavors, then put it in the fridge and moved on to the next thing. We garnished it with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled it with a little paprika and parsley.

gallery_28661_3_28649.jpg

Hope scooped out the eggplants and mixed up the baba ganoush. I don't particularly like eggplant, so I wouldn't have been the right person to judge the correct balance of flavors. Speaking of that, we used the cookbook Moosewood Cooks for a Crowd as the starting point for the hummus, baba ganoush and tabouli, mostly to get a sense of proportions, but mostly did it all by taste. Here's Hope's finished product (and some random cooking detritus in the background).

gallery_28661_3_21464.jpg

We chopped up a whole mess of cucumbers and mixed them with full fat yogurt, salt, cumin, garlic and a bit of lemon juice. This is one of my favorite Middle Eastern side dishes.

gallery_28661_3_10806.jpg

Keith finished skewering the lamb and went off to set the dining room tables while Hope was finishing the baba ganoush. I waited to cook the skewers until just about 15 minutes before service, so they'd still be hot. They'd have been quite nice on the grill, but firing one up would have been too much work, and they turned out great with just a couple of minutes per side under a hot broiler. There was only one skewer per meat eater (I was approaching the meat as a condiment, not as the center of the meal), so rather than putting a few on each table, I piled them all up on one plate and left them on the counter for the meat eaters to collect. I've done similar things with a special vegetarian item, when it doesn't make sense to spread it out. But I wish I'd made more - they were my favorite part of the meal - juicy, tender, nicely medium rare. Mmmm. I'd do these again, with some different side dishes, but go to a butcher who could cut them up for me.

gallery_28661_3_20199.jpg

We put out some halved pita bread and bowls of crumbled feta cheese, and we were done. It was never frenzied, but we did have to work steadily to get everything done on time. The nice thing about this meal is that because so much of it was served cold or at room temperature, there was no rush to get everything out to the tables at the last minute.

gallery_28661_3_19978.jpg

gallery_28661_3_35590.jpg

The kids had their choice of the adult foods, as well as some plain yogurt, shredded cheese, and baby carrots.

Dessert was store bought baklava, and it was nummy.

Liam ate a little bit of the hummus, but this wasn't a particularly Liam-friendly meal, so his dad brought food from home. He actually ate some plain squash, which he's been rejecting for a while now, and went to town on the cottage cheese. He has, however, decided that Veggie Lentil Puree is poison. Which is unfortunate given the big batch of it I cooked up for him earlier this week. Guess I might just be adding cumin, salt and lemon juice and eating it myself.

gallery_28661_3_7304.jpg

Thanks everyone for your advice and helping me plan the meal. I've still got a few more posts planned for today, so I'll be back in a little while. But right now I need to get some work done.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

<pout> Sure is lonely around here. </pout>

Some random eating over the past week that I never got around to writing about:

I promised you that I'd eat something different for breakfast on Sunday, and I did. I intended it to be bacon and eggs, but Eric wasn't up by the time I was hungry. So instead, I sliced the leftover baguette from Saturday's picnic in half, covered one half with 2 yr Remeker, and toasted it in my toaster oven. Later in the day I covered the other half with thinly sliced crespone and cheddar cheese, and toasted that too.

gallery_28661_3_40387.jpg

Doesn't that look yummy? Funny "raising a baby gourmet" story here - when I was slicing up the baguette for myself, Liam was in his high chair on the other side of the counter and complained *vociferously* at me until I gave him a piece to gnaw on.

Since I didn't get any pictures of my picnic, here's a picture of Liam playing with the picnic basket the next morning.

gallery_28661_3_42783.jpg

And here's one of him and the fork he's adopted as a security blanket. He won't put the darn thing down! (Picture taken after he'd rejected the veggie lentil puree for lunch and I let him feed himself grapes, cheese and toast instead.)

gallery_28661_3_9652.jpg

Someone earlier mentioned my well fed foodblog kitties. Random and Dara are not as well fed as they'd like, and in the picture in question they were stalking their food bowl a good hour before it was due to be filled. Dara (the black one) did get a special (unintended) treat on Friday. I'd prepped my mise en place for making the risotto, and when I was off attending to Liam, she managed to sneak onto the counter and eat an entire bowl of microplaned parmesan cheese. Which she promptly threw up under the dining room table.

Over the course of the week I managed to eat all 3 of the Crunchie bars I had left from my visit to Canada. Most at embarrasing times of the day, like 9 am. Crunchie bars, for those who are unfamiliar, are sponge toffee covered in milk chocolate. I always bring some back with me when I get to Canada to visit (and can occasionally find them in the British import sections of local stores).

Yesterday's trip to Arbor Farms for common meal shopping saw me get one of my common indulgences - a package of Newman's Peanut Butter Cups in dark chocolate (yes, I have a chocolate problem). And a pear Izze.

Since I've been at work today I've been unable to avoid the snack vortex, and have munched on 3 mini "Midnight" Milky Ways (covered in dark chocolate) and a mini Twix. As well as a bowl of Kettle Chips Crinkle Cut Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper potato chips. If you haven't had them, I only have this to say - BEST POTATO CHIPS EVER! Ahem. All that snacking got me through until 1 pm, when I went to Produce Station for lunch, but I'll write about that later when I can post the pictures.

Anybody still reading?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

So last night was my big common meal cooking night.  Unfortunately, it was only okay. 

I'm sorry about that Tammy. It looks pretty good from over here - I would have been happy to sit at your table!

I think a big part of the problem is that I just ended up not particularly being in the mood to eat what I cooked. Especially after tasting it all afternoon getting the flavors right!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

So last night was my big common meal cooking night.  Unfortunately, it was only okay. 

I'm sorry about that Tammy. It looks pretty good from over here - I would have been happy to sit at your table!

I think a big part of the problem is that I just ended up not particularly being in the mood to eat what I cooked. Especially after tasting it all afternoon getting the flavors right!

I'm that way most of the time. Especially if I'm doing 3 or 4 tricky courses -- by the time I sit down a glass of wine and a piece of bread usually suffices! My good friends understand this now and realize they don't have to be chefs to invite me to dinner -- it's a treat not having to cook it!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Hi Tammy,

I noticed that your shopping list called for 4 cups of tahini. YOW! The 16 oz. container of tahini in my 'fridge cost about $11.00. Is yours this expensive?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Hi Tammy, 

I noticed that your shopping list called for 4 cups of tahini. YOW! The 16 oz. container of tahini in my 'fridge cost about $11.00. Is yours this expensive?

I bought a 32 oz container for about $6.50. And that wasn't even at a Middle Eastern market (where I'd expect it to be cheaper), just my local natural foods grocery store.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Speaking of costs, I realized that I forgot to include that information in my earlier post. I spent $117 at Arbor Farms, which included $24 for a 3 L container of EVOO that will be charged to pantry costs rather than my meal. Then another $33 or so at Kroger (I've managed to lose the receipt - doh!). My assistant cook spent $24 on two pans of baklava and four packages of pita bread. Total: $150 for 34 adults and 7 kids (3 under age 6). About the billing - adults get charged a full share, teens 3/4 share, kids 7 and over are half price, and kids 6 and under eat free. Doing the math... 34x + 4x = $150+12%(pantry fee)... or $4.73 per adult and $2.37 per child. Right on target.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Your meal looks so yummy. Do you use a regular or english cuke for the salad?

When I make kebabs, I like to make tzaki(sp?) sauce using yogurt cheese, peeled, seeded, shreeded english cukes, lots of garlic and lemon juice, salt, pepper and evoo.

Btw, I'll be up in AA next week, I can always drop you off some more crunchie bars if you'd like.

Im thinking of attending Zingerman's cheese dinner( waiting for an email of the menu, before I decide)

Your meal looks so yummy.  Do you use a regular or english cuke for the salad? 

When I make kebabs, I like to make tzaki(sp?) sauce using yogurt cheese, peeled, seeded, shreeded english cukes, lots of garlic and lemon juice, salt, pepper and evoo. 

Btw, I'll be up in AA next week, I can always drop you off some more crunchie bars if you'd like.

Im thinking of attending Zingerman's cheese dinner( waiting for an email of the menu, before I decide)

I used English cukes because they were cheaper. Tzatziki is very good - love that stuff, haven't made it in a million years.

Thanks for the offer on the Crunchies, but I think I'm better off without the temptation! :biggrin: Don't know if you're time in Ann Arbor is full, but let me know if you'd like to get together for a meal (same goes for anyone else making it to this neck of the woods, of course).

They told us the menu at the cheese tasting, but I don't remember what they said and can't offer you a sneak peek.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40