• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meals from Granville Island

It is time to cook spot prawns. Tomorrow the Spot Prawn Festival is launched, as reported by City Food:

The Spot Prawn Festival Launch Event returns to False Creek Fishermen’s Wharf on Saturday, May 3rd (Noon to 5 p.m.), as 16 of Vancouver’s top chefs get ready to cook their best spot prawn recipes and to meet the arrival of the prawn season’s first day boat. This event, taking place at 1505 West 1st Ave (next to Go Fish), and sponsored by the Chefs Table Society, will feature other family friendly activities plus an info booth from the Vancouver Aquarium Ocean Wise program. Cooking demos will also take place at the nearby Granville Island Market at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. As part of the overall festival, which is intended to celebrate and promote our indigenous, sustainable seafood, fresh live spot prawns will be available for sale at the docks for the following six to eight weeks. As well, participating restaurants will be feature spot prawns on their menus for the duration of the season.

Launch date: Saturday May 3rd, 12:00pm - 5:00pm

Duration: The Spot Prawn Festival will run for six to eight weeks.

Buying times: Between 2pm - 6pm daily

(North-West of Granville Island, between the Burrard Street Bridge and the Granville Street Bridge - http://www.falsecreek.com/p_map.htm)

Cheers,

Anne

Haven't cooked them yet but bought some wonderfully meaty looking short ribs from Tenderland Meats on GIsle for only $6.99/lb. These puppies are not that easy to find outside a proper butcher, and I've had a recipe for them I've been wanting to try for a while.

Also got gorgeous meaty back ribs that will be done with my patented honey garlic soy glaze -- they happily cut them both lengthwise and between the ribs for you if you ask ($10.99/lb).

And last but not least, stocked up on their fabbo x-lean ground beef ($4.99/lb) for my emergency blender spaghetti sauce. I make up a couple of pounds worth and freeze it in little tubs for those nights when we want something tasty and just can't find the energy to cook. I ran out and bought a pound of ground at Safeway recently. What a mistake. Next time I will wait till I can get back to Tenderland!

I haven't lived in Vancouver since 1993, but when I did I always got pizza bagels and Okanagan cider from the market on the weekend. We took those little boats over from the west end - I hope they're still in use.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I haven't lived in Vancouver since 1993, but when I did I always got pizza bagels and Okanagan cider from the market on the weekend. We took those little boats over from the west end - I hope they're still in use.

Yes the ferries are still in use - busier than ever, I'd say. I live in the west end and the ferry is my usual means of travel to GI.

Cheers,

Anne