• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Chocolates & Confections

aidensnd2

I have successfully frozen and defrosted a dual layer ganache and pate de fruit enrobed confection.

Just follow usual rules of 1) tight packing and suitable wrapping; 2) put in the fridge for 12-24 hours then into the freezer on the way in; 3) put in the fridge for 12-24 hours from frozen on the way out.

Andrew Shotts freezes, and in his book he makes lots of pate de fruits. Maybe sote23 could answer for sure though, as he went to his class.

I use a foodsaver to vacuum seal and buy the bags off ebay. Works great for me on the standard-type chocolates that I make. Same technique as you - stopping before 100% vacuum to prevent crushing. Works great, most useful for condensation control.