• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hankering for chinese

Full Kee has excellent food and was host to an eG dinner. More than you could ever want to know about it here. It's a Washingon Post "editor's pick," for whatever that's worth, and is located very close to the Chinatown metro stop. No alcohol.

City Lights of Chine does competent General Tso's/Mu Shi/crispy beef/etc. and is two blocks north of the Dupont Circle station, while Mei Wah is about four blocks south of Dupont Circle, on New Hampshire and M, and is considered slightly better than City Lights.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'm a fan of Tai Shan in chinatown.

try their cantonese chicken chow mein, and their beef chow foon is good too.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I'm a big Mr. Chen's fan (woodley park metro), especially their Kung Pao Chicken. Had it as recently as 2 or 3 weeks ago (on a Tuesday), and everything was up to its usual self.

Ordered tonight again (Monday), and something was off. The lo mein had those mini corn cobs and peapods, which they've never had before. The kung pao was also loaded with extra celery.

Could it be a different chef on Monday nights?

p.s. Also tried the much-ballyhooed peking duck rolls. Good filling, not so good wrapper. I honestly think they ran out and went next door to Chipotle to borrow some burrito tortillas.

Go all the way to Twinbrook - goto Seven Seas in Federal Plaza or Tony Lin's at Montrose Crossing (where the Giant and Old Navy are) or A&J (ok that's a bit of a hike). Or goto Rockville and go to Bob's Noodle.

Go all the way to Twinbrook - goto Seven Seas in Federal Plaza or Tony Lin's at Montrose Crossing (where the Giant and Old Navy are) or A&J (ok that's a bit of a hike).  Or goto Rockville and go to Bob's Noodle.

Seven Seas and Bob's Noodle 66 are good. A&J is worth the trip for the pork dumplings alone. Every time we go I have to stop myself from eating an entire order all by myself.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Tom Sietsema mentioned on his chat today that his best meal of the week was takeout from City Lights, but I think he meant it mostly as a comment that his other meals have been subpar.

That said, I like City Lights better than Meiwah. Have them make the hunan chicken spicy. It's delicious.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

• 2 weeks later...

First, any restaurant meal depends on what you order. Chinese places have huge menus. Everything can't be great. That said, I had an incredible meal last week at New Big Wong (Gallery Place Metro - Red Line). Live shrimp, dungeness crabs, clams, whole fish. The "special" fried rice with dried scallops and lobster is the best rice I've ever had (and no soy sauce!).

Mei Wah has the best BBQ ribs in the city, IMO. Order a double.

Mr. Chen's has an appetizer of Peking Duck Rolls - order a double, they are that good.

Mark