• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KONI grocery & deli

After a couple weeks of anticipation, a new store has opened up on Granville @ 70th across the street from Safeway. The place is called Koni, a European kind of dry / canned goods grocery store with a nicely-stocked deli. Imagine a scaled down Meinharts with a similarly scaled down markup.

We visited on Saturday, day 2 of operation, and got to sample some great items like ham sausage, provelone, prosciutto salami (which ended up on a delicious pizza later), pfeffer sticks, a custardy cake the name of which I've forgotten...

There's a selection of Italian, German, Yugoslavian products like pastas, tomatoes, oils and vinegars, spices and salts, coffees, etc. Not bad considering it's not yet a week old. It's a nice family-run operation (I missed the name of the owner!) and it provides a service the neighborhood is definitely ready for. If you're in the area, drop by for a look (or an espresso - $1.75 for a double shot).

Best part is it's right beside the produce store so we're getting closer to one-stop shopping!

Koni - 8520 Granville St - 604-269-9100

Oops, I forgot to post this! Thanks BCinBC.

I too checked out Koni on Saturday, it is a little bit out of my neighborhood, but worth it for the pfeffer sticks as well as some of the other cold cuts. The best part is that the proprietor is very knowledgable about what he stocks. I had a long discussion with him on balsamic vinegar. Lots of great products that you don't see everywhere - single 'vintage' olive oils etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I swung by Koni to pick up some very nice salami, bocconcini (sp?) and parm reg cheese for dinner. :smile:

Afterwards I stopped by the new store a couple doors up Granville, the Marpole Grand Grocery? or something, to peek inside the door as they were stocking their produce and shelves. Proceeded to knock over a bunch of flowers, one poor guy tried to clean this up while another guy held his kid... and yet they were still gracious enough to let me know they're supposed to open today. :smile:

So, things are heating up on this block. Still waiting for a butcher to move in though... Also I'm hoping places start to extend their hours as the bakery across the street is always closed after work. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought organic eggs, organic Avalon unsalted butter and concentrated beef stock at a much lower prices than Capers, Choices or Meinhardt.

The cashier said the owner use to manage Meinhardt. That explains the similar grocery items and, thankfully, the lower prices.

They had a St. Honore cake in their small dessert display counter which I was told is made with real cream so I'll have to check that out next .time I'm there.

They are opened M - Sat from 9am to 7pm and Sun 11am to 6pm.

Maxmillan: Glad to hear you got the goods at non-Meinhardt's prices. The owner's name is Zarko (the "Ko" in Koni), and the cashier usually is his daughter (when I'm in there anyway) so it's a real family operation. I'm curious about the beef stock - I asked him when he first opened if he carried stock, but at the time he only had those bullion cubes. Did you get demiglace? That would be great, I'll have to check into it.

Also on a similar note, for those of you interested in making your own stock: the new place Grand Marpole Whatever, mentioned earlier just a few doors up, does indeed have a small meat case. And in it are chicken feet. There is another thread, probably in Cooking or General Food Topics, that says chicken feet along with backs and necks are ideal for stock making because of the skin and bone content. Just clip the nails first!

Maxmillan: Glad to hear you got the goods at non-Meinhardt's prices. The owner's name is Zarko (the "Ko" in Koni), and the cashier usually is his daughter (when I'm in there anyway) so it's a real family operation. I'm curious about the beef stock - I asked him when he first opened if he carried stock, but at the time he only had those bullion cubes. Did you get demiglace? That would be great, I'll have to check into it.

I believe it was the daughter I was speaking to as she stated that it is her father's store.

As for the beef stock it is the "Better than Bouillon" jar stuff. I have a feeling this is probably not what you are looking for. However, I only paid $5.89 for this. Most stores retail for more than $7.00 and Caper's and Choices are the only ones that will have the rare sale at the lower price. When in a rush, this is the best affordable stuff. I don't know if you call this stuff demiglace; it is a concentrate, though.

• 5 weeks later...
As for the beef stock it is the "Better than Bouillon" jar stuff.  I have a feeling this is probably not what you are looking for.  However, I only paid $5.89 for this.  Most stores retail for more than $7.00 and Caper's and Choices are the only ones that will have the rare sale at the lower price.  When in a rush, this is the best affordable stuff.  I don't know if you call this stuff demiglace;  it is a concentrate, though.

Maxmillan, I saw the "concentrated stock". (The idea is that you dissolve a small amount into a larger amount of water.) They have a couple others besides beef - chicken and lobster?

Anyway, my question is: how salty is it? Is it suitable for having in the fridge to make say a risotto or quick sauce, where the flavours are going to be re-concentrated? Anyone?

As for the beef stock it is the "Better than Bouillon" jar stuff.  I have a feeling this is probably not what you are looking for.  However, I only paid $5.89 for this.  Most stores retail for more than $7.00 and Caper's and Choices are the only ones that will have the rare sale at the lower price.  When in a rush, this is the best affordable stuff.  I don't know if you call this stuff demiglace;  it is a concentrate, though.

Maxmillan, I saw the "concentrated stock". (The idea is that you dissolve a small amount into a larger amount of water.) They have a couple others besides beef - chicken and lobster?

Anyway, my question is: how salty is it? Is it suitable for having in the fridge to make say a risotto or quick sauce, where the flavours are going to be re-concentrated? Anyone?

DId either of you ask Zarko about this? He seems to me quite honest and I think he would probably know. I'm heading out that way tomorrow sometime, I'll try and check.

Stopped by Koni last night and talked to Zarko about the stock. He says it's actually quite good for risotto, not too salty but definitely be careful how much you add because the flavour is quite concentrated. So I've invested $6 in a jar and will give it a go this weekend, maybe incorporating Trout Lake FM peas (a result of Daddy-A's sell job).

I also learned that except for the imported items, the deli is stocked with all handmade meats. They have a master butcher who makes, amongst other things, the liver pate, sausages etc. We had sausages last week (really delicious) and I picked up 150g of pate last night (roughly 1,000,000 times tastier than the stuff you get pre-packaged in Safeway). Weekends they do weisswurst - see you there Saturday!

One final note for all you smokers out there, the Marpole Grand Market currently has a special on pork butt, $2.49/lb. Daddy-A, I may come a-knockin (unless the house is a-rockin).

• 6 months later...

I mentioned this in the donair thread, but just to post in the appropriate place: if you get a chance, try a sandwich at Koni.

Today I had a ciabatta panino, with Montreal smoked meat and havarti. Butter and veg spread on the bread, grilled with the meat, cheese and some roasted peppers, then finished with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber slices. The ciabatta is $6, but there are also regular bread sandwiches for $4.50 or foccacia paninis for $7. The best part is that you get a choice of any meat in the deli counter! (And there are some beauties.)

Also of note, they are rounding out their chocolate selection now. Scharffen Berger semi-sweet 62%? $16; unsweetened 99%, didn't notice the price but possibly also $16; and they have cocoa nibs. Plus a tonne of other chocolates (Russian, Swiss? brands). Good place for stocking stuffers, if you need ideas.

ETA: Oh yeah, in addition to European Bakery breads they are also now carrying Terra Bread products.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

• 2 months later...