• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holly eats DC

DTBarton

Thanks for your reviews. We had a E-gullet dinner at Colorado Kitchen last year that was excellent.

Now that the parents have their retirement house in North Carolina, I've used your site for scoping out BBQ joints...the discovery of Moore's BBQ just off the 95 in Kenly was a great fine thanks to Hollyeats.

I can understand why he does not understand why people rave about 5 Guys, he went to the one on Richmond Highway, the one time I tried that location, I was quite disappointed by it. The only two that I have really cared for are the "Route 7" locations (old town, and Bailey's).

I can understand why he does not understand why people rave about 5 Guys, he went to the one on Richmond Highway, the one time I tried that location, I was quite disappointed by it.  The only two that I have really cared for are the "Route 7" locations (old town, and Bailey's).

As Stretch and I discovered one lost afternoon the new locations are franchises and not operated by the original owner/operators. Therefore, the kitchen performance can be highly variable.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

The sad part is that it took me five months to get the posts up. Gald you found it.

As to Five Guys - because it was 5 months ago when I went to check the address I couldn't figure out for sure the correct address, so I did what any good modern day "journalist" would do and guessed. But at the time I sought out what I thought was the original 5 Guys. All I can remember is that it was on a corner, across from a large strip shopping center with a TGIFridays or something in it and that it was in VA. You walked in, the counter was on the right and the dining room on the left. A tight counter area to order and watch them cook.

As to the Colorado Kitchen. Ooops. A "reliable source" told me that. Or at least I think that's what he said. If not, I should correct it. But self-taught or not, Gillian is mighty impressive running a range.

And I could see moving to DC and finding a place within walking distance of Ben's Chili Bowl.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I actually used to live within walking distance of Ben's and am not certain why you find it so compelling, but am glad you had a good time in DC and that we've now got our own little corner of Holley Eats.

When my wife was pregnant with our second child, she was hospitalized several times with premature labor. One night, however, she gave me a "good husband pass" and sent me out for out for a night on the town with a friend. I dropped by the house to check up and found that contractions had begun again and that I was on the shitlist for not calling in (back before cell phones). My friend and I dashed over to Ben's for a pair of chili dogs (at her request), which we dropped off before dashing over to a coffee shop for some java to brace us for the long evening ahead. By the time we got back to the house, however, the Ben's chili dogs had worked their magic and the contractions had stopped (and Stephanie sent me back out for more beer -- God, I love that woman). So, even if they're not to my taste, I have to admit that Ben's dog's to posess a strange and undeniable power.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

As to the Colorado Kitchen.  Ooops.  A "reliable source" told me that.  Or at least I think that's what he said.  If not, I should correct it.  But self-taught or not, Gillian is might impressive running a range.

And I could see moving to DC and finding a place within walking distance of Ben's Chili Bowl.

You will want to reclassify your source. Before opening her own restaurant she was at Cashion's Eat Place and Morrison-Clark Inn. And I think she is a L'Academie grad. Anyway, I just looked at the Ben's Chili Bowl review. CAN'T believe it got 5 grease stains and Colorado Kitchen only 4.

Now, Chef, :unsure: don't take her head off. Clearly, she knows not what she does. :laugh:

As to the Colorado Kitchen.  Ooops.  A "reliable source" told me that.  Or at least I think that's what he said.  If not, I should correct it.  But self-taught or not, Gillian is might impressive running a range.

You will want to reclassify your source. Before opening her own restaurant she was at Cashion's Eat Place and Morrison-Clark Inn. And I think she is a L'Academie grad. Anyway, I just looked at the Ben's Chili Bowl review. CAN'T believe it got 5 grease stains and Colorado Kitchen only 4.

Now, Chef, :unsure: don't take her head off. Clearly, she knows not what she does. :laugh:

err... Holly is a guy.

Edited by Sthitch (log)

All I can remember is that it was on a corner, across from a large strip shopping center with a TGIFridays or something in it and that it was in VA.  You walked in, the counter was on the right and the dining room on the left.  A tight counter area to order and watch them cook.

There is one on King Street across the street from a TGI Friday's and caddie corner to a Popeye's. It is in the Skyline part of the area. That is the one that I frequent and enjoy. I prefer the hotdogs, my wife the burgers.

I should note, I took your advice on the Deerhead two weeks ago, now that is a hotdog. Thank God the Lexus has a navigation system or I would have never found it.

:huh:

How come that site says Gillian Clark is a self-taught cook with no professional experience???? Uh oh. Wait 'till Chef sees that..... :unsure:

All better now. Gillian is already pissed at me for snapping flash pictures in her face in the middle of Friday night turnout. I don't need to make it worse.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I can understand why he does not understand why people rave about 5 Guys, he went to the one on Richmond Highway, the one time I tried that location, I was quite disappointed by it.  The only two that I have really cared for are the "Route 7" locations (old town, and Bailey's).

The locations I have been to vary widely. My favorite is the one in Chinatown. The newer Georgetown location, in comparison, is rather cramped and dirty.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

• 1 year later...
I should note, I took your advice on the Deerhead two weeks ago, now that is a hotdog.  Thank God the Lexus has a navigation system or I would have never found it.

Likewise, my wife and I took Holly's advice on Deerhead last week. While it was a decent dog, I have to say I was confused as to how this dog rated better than The Dog House's offering on the South side of the city. I didn't find the Deerhead sauce all that interesting, it was actually a little bland, and sin sauce, you are left with a standard dog on a standard bun. Nicely cooked fries, though, which were served with a vinegar bottle and a can of old bay.

The Dog House is where it's at in Wilmington, or for the area in general. Holly notes that its all about the sauce for Deerhead. Well, its all about the bun for the Dog House. Lightly toasted on the face with a slightly flakey exterior and chewy interior. It is a roll worthy of discussion. I'm not a fan of the Dog House's watered down chili from a can (at least, I'm guessing its not homemade), but every other dog combo offered is exceptional. Personally, I just stick with two cheese dogs with mustard. Comfort food at its finest!