• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

your most comfortable place to eat is?

Couch / coffee table in front of the fireplace (cold months).

Same here, except our fireplace is a TV set with Satellite and surround sound. I highly recommend TV dinner trays too.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

At the kitchen table, with no book - I've definitely found that the food is much more satisfying when I am not doing something else at the same time, like reading or watching TV.

Also, dining with my SO at any of my favorite restaurants, eating and talking away.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Dining Table (view of downtown Seattle and Space Needle, very comfortable chair)

Sofa, with feet up on coffee table (nibbling on toast while reading paper)

Etta's Restaurant in Seattle (huge booths, very comfortable)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I kind of like my car. It's quiet, and my 4 cats and 1 dog, a/k/a "the beggars" aren't there to offer suggestions on how I might share. Not much table space, though, so there are limitations on what kinds of foods can be consumed there.

This thread has kind of awakened me to the idea that there is nowhere in my home that I'm comfortable eating, because of interference from the pets. Sometimes it's entertaining, and the company is always fun... but sometimes it's nice to just have a meal without anything even resembling aggravation. Hmmm. I think I need to work on that.

(I'm sick, and in full Couch Commando mode. This affects my answer).

In the recliner/sofa, in front of the TV, with a comforter over my legs. Placid, purring cat on comforter.

Otherwise, at my dinner table with husband and/or friends.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Outside, in the sun, with beer.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

at just about any bar in a restuarant...

outide on our patio during nice weather...

i want to eat on susan and russ' porch especially since it is dark, ugly and rainy here :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

When I'm dining alone, sitting in front of my computer.

When dining with my husband, sitting stretched out in bed, with our plates in our laps.

When we moved to our new home a year ago, we got rid of our dining room table because it was just a clutter collector and we rarely used it for dining. Our new kitchen has an L-shaped dining counter that we use as a buffet for parties, and four stools for dining with family. But it's still more comfortable eating in bed!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

At my desk in front of the computer.

Precisely. With egullet as your dining partner!

I would be too self conscious eating with eGullet as a dining partner ... too anxious and afraid of hearing "you mean you actually made THAT for dinner?" or, worse yet, "couldn't you have made something a bit more imaginative, for heaven's sakes?" :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

i guess i have the worst habit.

my favorite place to eat is snug in bed,

i assume a "dead sea otter" pose,

semi-reclined, with my

(large) food bowl propped on my chest.

head up on 2 pillows.

tv may or may not be on, but my current book

is always open.

i've perfected the art of eating this way

without spilling anything.

family hates it.

i'm lobbying for a recliner in the dining room

so i can join them, and eat roman emperor style.

i hate sitting at a dining table, feet dangling

off chairs (no, i'm not really height challenged)

i always want my feet up

(you can take the girl out of the village but not the village

out of the girl). i like floor-living.

even in living rooms sooner or later i put my feet up x legged.

same in my office.

same in office meetings.....

i also teach my classes this way: x legged on table

when not pacing up and down.....

milagai

At the kitchen table, especially since I'm usually the cook and server.

On the sofa with small dishes on the coffee table.

At a restaurant bar overlooking the kitchen-- great fun. A nice table at a restaurant is always good too. A table under the stars in a Greek or Italian restaurant in the summer: perfect.

Time is as important as place for me, at least presently. I prefer late at night once the boys are asleep and everything is quiet, sitting at the dining table with Mr. tejon, savoring the food and the company. Heaven.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I am embarrassed to admit that I've never, in my life, eaten anywhere but at a table, with cloth napkins in napkin rings. A tray table in from of the TV sounds very relaxing, except that my TV doesn't work.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I am embarrassed to admit that I've never, in my life, eaten anywhere but at a table, with cloth napkins in napkin rings. A tray table in from of the TV sounds very relaxing, except that my TV doesn't work.

you shouldn't be embarrassed, Maggie, that's pretty awesome.

i love reading while i eat. often i sit at the table with book/magazine/computer. i also love my bed... or couch. of course, if there's guests or it's semi-special, we sit at table (and/or around the living room if there's a lot of us).

:smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs