• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marcel's - The Regular

chuchelo

I ended up at Marcel's bar Saturday night and Dr. Hall was there as, apparently, usual. If abnormal means elegant, well-fed and enjoying the jazz, sign my ass up.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I've been dismayed by a number of the reactions in this thread to the simple phenomenon of a regular, especially such a harmless and agreeable regular as Dr. Hall appears to be. In any major cosmopolitan city such an "habitué" would not raise an eyebrow, yet here many people--even in a forum of gastronomes such as this--seem to think of him as a circus freak. Strange.

I think most would agree that Dr. Hall's behavior, as described in the article, is somewhat, shall we say, abby normal.

My point exactly.

Exactly what he is doing that is "abbynormal?" I cannot help but really be surprised at the reaction of several on this thread. I also can't help but wonder how many people noted that he spends "Thanksgiving day" at the chef's house each year. There is genuine affection, empathy and care on both their parts. There is nothing "abby normal" other than several reactions on this board.

ABNORMAL, adj. Not conforming to standard. In matters of thought and conduct, to be independent is to be abnormal, to be abnormal is to be detested.

Source: THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY, Ambrose Bierce, 1911.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I think most would agree that Dr. Hall's behavior, as described in the article, is somewhat, shall we say, abby normal.

Really?? I know folks in Manhattan who eat every meal out because they have tiny kitchens, don't like/know how to cook, or just can't be bothered. Most eat breakfast in the same place at least five days a week, on the way to work. Lunch is between 2 or 3 places, with dinner more widely ranging, perhaps between 5-6 places. I don't think they are (or are considered) abnormal at all. Of course, these folks don't spend a packet and no one is writing any articles about them.

But enough about Dr. Hall, (and for the record, I think he sounds lovely!) let's talk about Marcel's and their incredible service. Is this the only example of the lengths to which a Washington restaurant will to go keep regular customers happy?

But enough about Dr. Hall, (and for the record, I think he sounds lovely!) let's talk about Marcel's and their incredible service. Is this the only example of the lengths to which a Washington restaurant will to go keep regular customers happy?

Eating out in the same restaurant for dinner every night is a tad bizarre. That being said, where does it say in the column that anyone other than the good doctor got good service? The real estate agents? The first-timers who have to go hail their own cab? Or any other regulars? I'm sorry, but if I have some regulars who don't return because I didn't have Stoli, that says something about my customers AND my follow-up. Maybe I should have someone on my staff give them a call? Drop them a note? Or maybe they weren't dropping the $50-60K per annum like the doctor. C'mon, for that kind of scratch, I'd ...well, you know what I mean.

All this talk of regulars is really interesting. I fall into the "wow, Marcel's are really awesome to this man" camp. Interesting that no one points out that, according to the article, Dr. Hall did the same at a greasy spoon in Chicago. I wonder if the choice of Marcel's was arbitrary or if he researched many different spots before becoming a real regular. I'm a regular at an admittedly mediocre (food wise) spot for brunch ever weekend, and I wish I had done some research before getting attached to the staff.

I wonder if the choice of Marcel's was arbitrary or if he researched many different spots before becoming a real regular.

In the article it mentions that he was walking by before they had opened and Robert said "we are opening on Monday." It seems that invitation started it all.

I have to say, I am a huge fan of Marcel's, and of Robert, the chef and the guy. I can think of many lesser places that the fine Dr. could have chosen to be a regular. I have never understood why this fine restaurant does not get more play.