• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Epic

Mooshmouse

Anyone checked out these new digs yet? Just upstairs from the Epicurean, offering dinner service of fairly traditional Italian food.

Inquiring minds want to know. :huh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone tried this place yet?

Other inquiring minds want to know as well! :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I'm planning on trying it out this restaurant in the next couple of days! When I was at Epicurean the other day to satisfy my craving for their pain au chocolat and latte, I asked about the restaurant to the barista and the owner came by telling me it's open till late! Good to know... there aren't too many restaurants asides from Chinese restaurants and fast food that is opened till late in Vancouver. So apparently they're opened from Tuesday through Saturday.

There's a write up in the Sun by Mia Stainsby today, she gave them 3 1/2 stars (if that means anything to anyone...).

ahh where's the button for the fries?

Angela Murrills also penned a somewhat unfavourable review of Epic in this week's Georgia Straight.

Seems that the common thread running through all three reviews (Straight, CityFood, Sun) is that Epic is a sexy new room, working through some opening kinks but shows lots of potential. I'll wait for a little while longer before trying it out, but I'm still anxious to taste what they have to offer.

Looking forward to notes on your upcoming dining experience, tokyogurumegal.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Angela Murrills also penned a somewhat unfavourable review of Epic in this week's Georgia Straight.

Seems that the common thread running through all three reviews (Straight, CityFood, Sun) is that Epic is a sexy new room, working through some opening kinks but shows lots of potential.  I'll wait for a little while longer before trying it out, but I'm still anxious to taste what they have to offer.

Mia's review noted that her order was delivered to the wrong table - the diner stuck her fork in it - it was taken away to the kitchen - and then the same dish was served to her.

I know that nothing unsanitary happened - but seems indicative of growing pains. The other thing - how did Mia know that she had been re-served the same dish?

I am sure lots of stuff happens in restaurants - I just don't want to know. :huh:

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Seems that the common thread running through all three reviews (Straight, CityFood, Sun) is that Epic is a sexy new room, working through some opening kinks but shows lots of potential.  I'll wait for a little while longer before trying it out, but I'm still anxious to taste what they have to offer.

The other point made in each review I have read (Sun/Straight) was that it seemed a bit pricey. I believe one quote was something along the lines of "$19 is a lot for 4 ravioli". Having seen the menu (but not the actual portions) I'd be inclined to agree.

A.

That's funny D-A. Although I like the food at Epicurean, about the only time I've gotten it is when I felt especially lazy. Yes the sausages and marinated mushrooms are tasty, but they're also kind of expensive for what they are. If I'm in the area looking for a quick bite, usually I'll end up getting a cornish pastie or something from Pane.

I think Mia Stainsby's point was that she waited quite awhile for her dish, and when it finally came out, it was delivered to the wrong table. Now since it took such a long time to prepare the first time, if it went to the back and came out any quicker than say 5 mins -and i think it barely touched the counter in the back from the sounds of things -it is unlikely that they took the time and care to remake it. c'est la vie.

James