• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French 75 or 76

birder53

Enjoyed a lovely dinner at the Stage House in Scotch Plains, NJ last night. Five course tasting menu with wines and an open bar. I decided to have a champagne cocktail to start and asked for a French 75, which I thought was gin, cointreau and lemon juice topped off with champagne. I received a champagne flute with cognac, lemon juice, simple syrup and champagne. Not what I had expected but it was a good drink. I had mentioned to the waiter that it was made with gin, but he wasn't the one making the drinks.

This morning I dragged out a few cocktail books to find out where I went wrong with my request and only became further confused. Mardee Regan's book has a French 75 and a French 76, the 76 being made with cognac, the 75 with gin. Craft of the Cocktail lists only the French 75 and uses brandy. According to Drink Boy, this is a gin drink. Is there a correct answer here?

KathyM

I suspect this falls into the Vodka Martini category: What's right ain't necessarily what's happening in the world.

I love what Drink Boy says on this matter:

Some people claim this drink should use cognac instead of gin. Those people would be wrong.

That said, I prefer the variation with Cognac. In my view, though, drink variations that are so substantial as this should have a different name from the original. I like the idea of calling it a French 76. :biggrin:

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Or you could call it a French 16, the 2-digit code for the departement of Charente, where you'd find the town of Cognac. :raz: At least people would know that you didn't mean "75", which would be my fear with calling it a French 76.

~A

[edited for clarity]

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

The "cognac/brandy" variation is a result of people coming to an incorrect conclusion regarding this drink.

They think to themselves "French 75? Why surely that should be made with a French ingredient like Cognac, and not a British ingredient like gin."

The issue, is thinking that this drink was created by the French, which is most likely was not. It was just named after a piece of french artillery, and it was either created by a brit, or the creator thought that gin had more of a 'bang' to it.

There are a variety of "take-offs" of the French 75, simply changing the number to something else as an indication that it is a different drink... this unfortunatly doesn't take into account that the "French 75" is referring to an artillery piece and not just a numerical sequence. Personally I'd love to see these creative folks, who create great champagne based cocktails, to spend just a little more time coming up with a proper name for them :->