• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

E and R Wine Shop

I finally got a chance to visit Portland's E and R Wine Shop and it more than lived up to my expectations. This is no mega-store trying to offer every wine made, but a tight selection of outstanding wines from small, passionate producers trying to put something special in the bottle. In the "Mondovino" world of cookie-cutter wines with little individual personality is is wonderful to find a store dedicated to the work of individualists dedicated to terroir and regional character. Of particular interest is their excellent selection of Italian wines not often found in American wine shops. Their pricing is fair and the staff is very well informed and more than helpful.

E and R is located at 6151 SW Macadam Ave. ( 503-246-6101)

I've been singing their praises for a while, and I'm happy to see other people appreciate them as well. Their critical list usually rocks. They've made me lazy about wine they're so good, I just go and buy what they suggest. Sometimes when I show up I get asked "what's for dinner?" because I also like to go in and get help for a particular meal. They're good at that too.

regards,

trillium

I have friends who love Liner & Elsen, so I've checked them out. I think the Italian selection at E&R has more interesting options, but I'm not a hard core wine geek, I just like to drink it every night with my dinner. They've won some award from Food & Wine a while back for their Italian selection, it really is fantastic. You could even get my favorite Sicilian white, Dona Fugata, for the 5 minutes it was imported to Oregon (sigh)!

E&Rs' quarterly newsletter is so well and wittily written that we keep them all. When my partner and I talk about what we'd miss about pdx E&R is high on the list. Not that Liner & Elsen is bad, mind you...

regards,

trillium

Craig, you might also want to check out Liner & Elsen on NW 21st, which is my favorite wine shop in town.  Also, there's a new place on NW Thurman, Square Deal Wine Co. that looks promising.

Welcome to the Northwest, by the way, we'd love to meet you some time.

Marshall

Thanks for the leads. I will check them out.

I am alway interested in any off-lines in the area. I was also thinking about organizing some kind of eGullet event at Anne Amie. Any ideas?

Craig

It would be great to sample your wines, and I'm guessing that the local e-gulleteers would be willing to share a bottle from their collections for tasting as well (or at least I think so).

Name a couple of dates that work. I would prefer informal, weekend, daytime.

Mike