• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food at the Junos

Dejah

That'd be me  :biggrin:

Have you been to Victoria since it was sold?  While I liked it a lot before... I think I actually like it more now.  (sold last year - Trin moved to BC I think).

When was it sold? Haven't been there in a couple of years, so I should give it a second chance. No harm in trying--except maybe to my waistline!

I had a not-good experience at Kum Koon... so I prefer not to go there.  And I just moved to Linden Woods - so Victoria is close... I've heard great things about North Garden - I'll have to try it after Passover.  Thanks.

When Kum Koon first opened after they renovated, we had a very bad experience, as well--foodwise and servicewise. My mother complained to Jeff's daughter and I think, since Mom has known the family for about as long as Kum Koon has been open (our store was at one time almost next door to the KK on Main), they may have actually listened to her. We only do dim sum there, but normally go to North Garden or Sun Fortune for Chinese meals--closer to home. :biggrin:

If you can convince one of the North Garden staff to translate the Chinese menu for you, there are some great dishes on it. I can only read some of it, but the owner will often help us out (it's best to narrow down what you might want to try, though. For example, if you want fish, chicken, or beef). There's a whole steamed fish (very bony, though) that is served with ginger and scallions in a soy sauce/oil/vinegar?? sauce. It's fabulous!

Edited to add:

On one night a week, North Garden also gives free single servings of soup to their Chinese customers. I think it's on Tuesdays. They don't offer it to non-Chinese customers because it's usually made with things they think non-Chinese will balk at eating (chicken feet, for example). If you're ever there on a Tuesday, no harm in asking about it!

(off topic, but I'm just thrilled that I've finally figured out how to intersperse quotations with responses!)

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I was just going to say that Victoria Seafood is on St. Mary's Road.  I mentioned this place to hubby last night and he tells me we had dinner there YEARS ago.

Yes, Sun Fortune is an excellent place to eat at too.  They have good BBQd meats their and even make their own Chinese long and round donuts (goes with congee).    They are the only place I've heard of that marinates their BBQ pork with peanut butter.  They didn't really want to tell us their secret.  lol But with my daughter's nut allergy and seafood allergy, we always ask about ingredients in any restaurant we eat in.  At first they just kept saying for her to stay away from the BBQ pork.  Finally it came out about the peanut butter.

Peanut butter!! Interesting!

We usually get their salted fish and chicken fried rice. It's one of the few places we've been able to find it. I love salted fish (commonly called, "stinky fish" in my family) but it's so smelly when you cook it. By going to Sun Fortune, we get the pleasure of eating it without our house smelling so much.

They'll also do steamed (poached?) chicken with ginger and scallions if you ask for it. We tried to order it at North Garden once and got something completely different. But Sun Fortune always does it right! It's not the best version I've had, but when you want to satisfy a craving, it does the trick.