• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food at the Junos

Dejah

Prairie Food-Disjointed Meanderings

Back in Sask., one of our German neighbours made this cheese I've never had anywhere else-it was made in an eight inch square baking pan-buttery, soft-I don't have a clue what it's called. They made it for the potluck supper at my parent's 25th Anniversary. It melted in your mouth.

My mom made lentils, ham hock, and spaeztle, plum küchen, and at a recent fowl supper I had a dish called kläse, yet another variation on noodle dumplings. Let's not forget the Norwegian settlers-lefse, and krumkache, etc.

There's also these little bread dumplings with beet greens cooked in cream (Ukrainian)...buffalo sausage with Saskatoon berries in it, rabbit terrine, freshly caught lake fish cooked on the fire, Doukhabor food-the best (the first?) veggie burger on homemade bread I ever tasted was in a Doukhabor restaurant near Castlegar, although there were lots of babas who cooked their bread in outdoor ovens in Sask., as well.

Sunripened tomatoes with salt and pepper.

Fresh peas from the pod.

Chokecherry syrup on ice cream.

Yukaflux-and if you know what I mean-you are hardcore rural prairie.

My mom's chocolate fudge made with farm cream.

Spicey stewed crabapples in the dead of winter.

Moose, beaver, ducks, geese, and yes, even swan (in my great-grandma's time)-see Eating Swan thread in Adventures in Eating.

Zuke

P.S. Our perogies are so big...Mr. Maw:How big are they? So big you need a wide-angled lense and stand a country mile away just to git a good photiegraph. Makes Feenie's weenies look pretty teeny.

P. P. S. Pam, what was the story behind the drugstore with the lunch counter that sold the infamous asparagus sandwiches?

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

P. P. S. Pam, what was the story behind the drugstore with the lunch counter that sold the infamous asparagus sandwiches?

I *think* you're talking about the Harmens drugstore on Portage and Sherbrook but I can't say that I've ever been. However, the Grill Room in the Eaton's building was THE place to lunch for the ladies back in the day and they also served the asparagus cheese rolls.

Those rolls are actually making a comeback - retro food. Our customers have been ordering them for parties recently. Of course, the 'cheese' is not a kosher product, so we've been making our own spreadable cheese - but they still get gobbled up. Are they a Winnipeg thing?? I never thought of them as being from here.

How about party sandwiches?? Also known as sliders. Are they as popular in other places as they are here?

That's right, asparagus does grow in Manitoba!

I'm amazed that some restaurant doesn't start promoting all that great produce that grows there.

I see the start of something big.

Asparagus is at a good price at the moment. I've been blanching and stir-frying for the last couple of weeks. What is the flavour like with the white asparagus? Do you use them the same way? Different variety or just "kept in the dark"?

What is this cheese wrapped asparagus called "sliders"? The only time I've heard that term used was for bad hamburgers at a White Castle!

Didn't Harmen's turn into a coffee shop that served falafals? Haven't noticed it the last couple trips into Wpg.

Pam: I don't know anything about Mitsy's, but Lily has joined eGullet and she will post some info'. She's actually coming out to meet us tomorrow...for the first time. We were introduced through another food list. This internet is amazing!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

What is this cheese wrapped asparagus called "sliders"?

Didn't Harmen's turn into a coffee shop that served falafals? Haven't noticed it the last couple trips into Wpg.

Pam: I don't know anything about Mitsy's, but Lily has joined eGullet and she will post some info'. She's actually coming out to meet us tomorrow...for the first time. We were introduced through another food list. This internet is amazing!

Party sandwiches are the double decker sandwiches filled with egg/salmon/tuna/cream cheese/ veggies/etc. They are also known as sliders - but I'm wondering if that's only in the Jewish community. Definately better known as a party sandwich.

The asparagus/cheese sandwich is just known as an asparagus cheese roll - though it is often served at parties with the party sandwiches :smile:

i don't know what Harmen's serves now... but looking in the phone book does tell me that it's still called HArmen's Cafe.

OK Lily, let's go! I can't wait for another Pegger to join us.

Pam, You may have told me in another post, but do you have a restaurant in Wpg? Or did have? Maybe next time, Lily and I can come and try your schmoo!

She's posting as amandasmom971. Maybe she'll post from my house tomorrow.

Are you familiar with Peter Grant? He's a chef in one of the restaurants in Wpg. For a while, he used to have a column with a featured recipe in manitoba Gardener. Haven't seen it for a while but we'd like to try his restaurant sometime too.

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pam, You may have told me in another post, but do you have a restaurant in Wpg? Or did have? Maybe next time, Lily and I can come and try your schmoo!

Are you familiar with Peter Grant? He's a chef in one of the restaurants in Wpg. For a while, he used to have a column with a featured recipe in manitoba Gardener. Haven't seen it for a while but we'd like to try his restaurant sometime too.

Dejah,

My parents and I have Desserts Plus - we have operated a restaurant off and on for the last 10-12 years (I was going to give you a link to the Free Press review/s but you need to be a subscriber to read it). We actually closed the restaurant in October. Our main focus has always been catering - and we have a retail store where we sell kosher products. On Monday we'll actually know if our building has sold - if it does we'll relocate to the other side of the city and will continue to cater, retail and hopefully sell prepared foods. If that happens, we should have Shmoo available. Right now our building is on North Main and there just isn't the traffic for our higher-end stuff.

I ran into Lily in the Canadian magazine thread - I look forward to seeing more from her.

I am familiar with Peter Grant. I've met him a couple of times and been to a demonstration he did at a home show a few years ago. He also used to do demo's in the kitchen department at the Bay downtown (and I think he's done some at the Forks). I wasn't aware that he had a restaurant - I'm not sure that he does.

Peter doesn't have a restaurant of his own, but he is chef at one of the fine dining restaurants. I will have to check on my back issues of Man. Gardener to find out which one.

We knew Peter when he was station manager at CJOB. He was instrumental in our beating out ray St. Germaine for Entertainers of the Year for Man. Music Awards back in 19*^! After he left the station, he followed his dream and took courses towards his chef status.

BTW, I am registered to take a 4 hour cooking class at our local college in South African cuisine on April 24th! Yeah! :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pam, what is the name of your retail outlet on North Main? I remember buying kosher meat at a store on North Main when our Jewish friend from Brooklyn came to visit for 2 weeks. That was a couple years ago.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pam, what is the name of your retail outlet on North Main? I remember buying kosher meat at a store on North Main when our Jewish friend from Brooklyn came to visit for 2 weeks. That was a couple years ago.

It's Desserts Plus - and our meat sales are almost the largest part of the business :blink: We've considered changing the name - but after 20 years, people know who we are!

The north end was a very Jewish area for most of the 1900's - and Main St. obviously being a main street has (had) many of the city's Jewish/kosher food places. Across the street from us is Bathurst Market - a Jewish/kosher grocery and restaurant. Down the street is Omnitsky's butcher. So it could have been any of the three of us.

Close by is City Bread and Gunn's Bakery - the two kosher bakeries in town. (also down the street was Miracle Bakery - the third one and right next door to us was Moonie's catering - he catered my parents wedding!)

There used to be many synagogues in the area and a couple of elementary schools and the high school were a few blocks away.

A few years ago the Asper Jewish Community Campus was built in Tuxedo and the population, which has always slowly moved to that end of town is now quickly moving. Hence our attempt to move the business.

ummm... so yah, it could have been us! :wink: (sorry)

Edited by Pam R (log)

Ok, now that you've listed the places, it was Omintsky's. I will look for Desserts Plus next time:-)

I found Peter's column in the back issues, but none of them mentioned where he is chef. I may have to search further back. He is no longer in the magazine...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ok, now that you've listed the places,  it was Omintsky's. I will look for Desserts Plus next time:-)

I found Peter's column in the back issues, but none of them mentioned where he is chef. I may have to search further back. He is no longer in the magazine...

I know he used to have a cooking show... and I just thought he went around town doing demos! Let me know if you find out where he is.

(Do you think at some point we should start another non-Juno thread? :wink: )

That's right, asparagus does grow in Manitoba!

I'm amazed that some restaurant doesn't start promoting all that great produce that grows there.

I see the start of something big.

Hi there,

I'm still trying to find my way around this forum. :-)

Mitzi's is a little place with about 25 to 30 tables. They are located down on St. Mary's and Smith (I think). They are best known for their chicken fingers but we've had their Chinese food there too. No complaints. Food is excellent every time.

Here's a bit about them. Not sure how I can share the picture from the article.

Let's see if this comes through ok.

Hi there,

I'm still trying to find my way around this forum. :-)

Mitzi's is a little place with about 25 to 30 tables. They are located down on St. Mary's and Smith (I think). They are best known for their chicken fingers but we've had their Chinese food there too. No complaints. Food is excellent every time.

Here's a bit about them. Not sure how I can share the picture from the article.

Let's see if this comes through ok.

Oops, here's the article from Manitoba Calling Magazine - Spring 2003

Mitzi’s Chicken Fingers

Hands Down, The Tastiest Fingers Around

It’s nearly impossible to describe the crispy, savoury coating on Mitzi’s chicken fingers, but if you’ve ever tasted one of these tender treats, you know that it’s the coating that keeps you coming back for more.

Owner Shirley Eng, who serves up about 200 platters of chicken fingers every day, will only divulge that the recipe is an "ancient Chinese secret," and that the plump chicken breasts from which they are made are carefully marinated overnight for maximum tenderness. Generous portions, quality eats and quick service are the praises of longtime customers who have visited Mitzi’s Chicken Finger Restaurant at 250 St. Mary Avenue in Winnipeg over the past 25 years.

Incidentally, there really is no "Mitzi" behind the eatery’s name. Eng says that Mitzi is simply the Chinese translation of what her restaurant stands for: tasty food. MC

If you're not careful, that smoked salmon you're eating may very well be stealhead trout.  The local fish markets sell it and most (all?) people can't tell the difference.

Look what I found at work today:

gallery_25849_641_235132.jpg

gallery_25849_641_407142.jpg

Now I'm confused. I thought it was trout... as in Steelhead trout.... but is steelhead a salmon?

Mitzi’s Chicken Finger Restaurant at 250 St. Mary Avenue in Winnipeg over the past 25 years.

My favorite Dim Sum place (Victoria Seafood) is down the street... I'll have to look for it when I'm out that way. Thanks.

Ok, now that you've listed the places,  it was Omintsky's. I will look for Desserts Plus next time:-)

I know he used to have a cooking show... and I just thought he went around town doing demos! Let me know if you find out where he is.

(Do you think at some point we should start another non-Juno thread? :wink: )

Good idea!

Maybe something about "prairies" just so it is not limited to Manitoba. I know there are a couple from Sask. and Alberta. Not that we want to leave Vancouver and British Columbia! :shock: You guys have all been most accepting, but then, most of you are prairie transplants! :raz:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

That is confusing. I googled steelhead and salmon, and they appear to be 2 different fish. Wonder why it is called by 2 different names on the same package.

Where are our fishing experts?!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Prairie Food-Disjointed Meanderings

P.S. Our perogies are so big...Mr. Maw:How big are they? So big you need a wide-angled lense and stand a country mile away just to git a good photiegraph. Makes Feenie's weenies look pretty teeny.

Our perogies are kinda big too. ;-) There was a really nice photo in Winnipeg Life Magazine - Spring 2005 of perogies from Alycia's. Love their borscht too.

I'll send in the photo if I can figure out how to share it here.

Are you talking about Schmoo Torte???? That's one of my fav desserts. Used to have it at Alycia's but think they've discontinued since last couple times I was there they didn't have any.

I think the last night I had it was at that famous Dessert place on Osborne. Can't remember the name. My girlfriend wanted to go there before moving away to North Battleford.

I would love to try your Schmoo Torte, Pam! ;-)

My favorite Dim Sum place (Victoria Seafood) is down the street... I'll have to look for it when I'm out that way. Thanks.

I've never heard of Victoria Seafood. Is it open on the weekends? I have always just eaten dim sum at Kum Koon, Grand Garden and occasionally at Marigold. The New Hong Snack House used to be really good at one time.

Oh, let's not forget the Dim Sum Garden Restaurant. If you dine there after 2 pm, all dim sum items are 1/2 price.

I've never heard of Victoria Seafood.  Is it open on the weekends?  I have always just eaten dim sum at Kum Koon, Grand Garden and occasionally at Marigold.  The New Hong Snack House used to be really good at one time. 

Oh, let's not forget the Dim Sum Garden Restaurant.  If you dine there after 2 pm, all dim sum items are 1/2 price.

Yep - open on weekends. I prefer it because 1. I just like the food. 2. You order what you want off the menu - no carts. Some people may not like this, but everything comes out piping hot! I love that! And I've found it's often faster than waiting for the carts to get to me. 3. They're in a strip mall and you can park there.

Note that Victoria Seafood is on St. Mary's Road while Mitzi's is on St. Mary Ave. Completely different parts of the city. Victoria is not bad, but Kum Koon actually has better quality dim sum (though many non-Chinese friends do prefer Victoria).

If you're in the south end of the city, I would go for Siam Thai or if you're craving Chinese (but not dim sum), North Garden on University Cres. or Sun Fortune on Pembina. Sun Fortune is a better choice, and many of our friends (Hong Kong Chinese) drive from across the city to eat there.

Note that Victoria Seafood is on St. Mary's Road while Mitzi's is on St. Mary Ave.  Completely different parts of the city.  Victoria is not bad, but Kum Koon actually has better quality dim sum (though many non-Chinese friends do prefer Victoria). 

If you're in the south end of the city, I would go for Siam Thai or if you're craving Chinese (but not dim sum), North Garden on University Cres. or Sun Fortune on Pembina.  Sun Fortune is a better choice, and many of our friends (Hong Kong Chinese) drive from across the city to eat there.

I was just going to say that Victoria Seafood is on St. Mary's Road. I mentioned this place to hubby last night and he tells me we had dinner there YEARS ago.

Yes, Sun Fortune is an excellent place to eat at too. They have good BBQd meats their and even make their own Chinese long and round donuts (goes with congee). They are the only place I've heard of that marinates their BBQ pork with peanut butter. They didn't really want to tell us their secret. lol But with my daughter's nut allergy and seafood allergy, we always ask about ingredients in any restaurant we eat in. At first they just kept saying for her to stay away from the BBQ pork. Finally it came out about the peanut butter.

Victoria is not bad, but Kum Koon actually has better quality dim sum (though many non-Chinese friends do prefer Victoria). 

That'd be me :biggrin:

Have you been to Victoria since it was sold? While I liked it a lot before... I think I actually like it more now. (sold last year - Trin moved to BC I think).

I had a not-good experience at Kum Koon... so I prefer not to go there. And I just moved to Linden Woods - so Victoria is close... I've heard great things about North Garden - I'll have to try it after Passover. Thanks.