• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what to do with a mix of cream & chicken juices?

Eden

Let me preface this by saying; Yes, I know how un-kosher it is...

On a whim I just made my friend's "Passover chicken" for lunch, which is literally just chicken thighs baked in heavy cream. Well actually we do sometimes sprinkle it with at little token paprika just because she got tired of people not beleiving you could acheive that amazingly rich flavor with only chicken & cream :laugh:

So anyway, having just made a small batch I have about 2 cups left in the pan of heavy cream that's been baked with chicken juices & I'm just sure there's some brilliant idea out there for how to use it up. It tastes way to good to just pour down the drain! The irony of using it to make biscuits would not be lost on me, but I'm sure there are other options.

No seafood please - I'm allergic - but otherwise I'm wide open to new ideas...

Thanks.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Pasta! Use it to sauce ravioli (stuffed with herbs, prosciutto and paremsan; or chicken mousse; or leek and mild goat cheese with a little lemon zest) or fresh fettuccini tossed at the last minute with sautéed mushrooms and/or asparagus. Fresh thyme or tarragon would be choice herbs.

edit: typos, g@*it!

Edited by carswell (log)

A few choices that jump out are

* Pasta Sauce

* Base for Mac & Cheese would be interesting

* Add roasted Garlic and make a sauce for the chicken

* Take left over chicken and food process with a little of the sauce into a loose chicken salad

* Base for a creamed spinach great with the chicken

Never trust a skinny chef

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas here! I will pass them along to my friend as well.

ladyyoung98 figured out what we often do with it at Passover, which is just pour it over the mashed potatoes, but since I did this impromptu there were no potatoes available.

Chicken Ice-cream wins the creativity prize :laugh: but I'll probably actually make a gratin or maybe the pasta or risotto or... (Off to the farmers market in a bit, we'll see what they have that might work with it)

Sandra: I leave the skins on and then people can pull the skin off if they choose to, or not.

Here's the Recipe, such as it is.

Take as many chicken thighs (skin on, bone in), as you want, put in a baking dish, cover with cream just to the tops of the thighs (they can peek out a bit, that's OK)

Sprinkle with paprika if you feel like it.

Bake for @ 50 mins at 350. It should be pretty & bubbly, with golden brown areas on top of the cream when it's done. :wub:

we made a lovely potato gratin last night with just the cream/stock mix, and a dollop of leftover Pepper Boursin cheese. Will have to try the other suggestions next time.

FYI should you make Passover Chicken & want to try one of these suggestions with the leftover cream/stock you will want to defat it first, or your dish wil be WAY to greasy. Fortunately when cooled, the chicken fat rises to the top of the dairy fat. must pull out McGee & find out why it's lighter...

we made a lovely potato gratin last night with just the cream/stock mix, and a dollop of leftover Pepper Boursin cheese.  Will have to try the other suggestions next time.

FYI should you make Passover Chicken & want to try one of these suggestions with the leftover cream/stock you will want to defat it first, or your dish wil be WAY to greasy.  Fortunately  when cooled, the chicken fat rises to the top of the dairy fat.  must pull out McGee & find out why it's lighter...

Well we just finished dinner, and it was great! I took the chicken out when it came out of the oven and then whisked some grain mustard into half of the creamy sauce and seasoned well, it was a great sauce for the chicken and white rice - still have left over and will try the potato gratin tomorrow...

Thanks for asking the question

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~