• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food delivery service options

Vancouver

In the thread about delivery pizza in downtown, sbonner said

but a couple of the on-line delivery companies do offer their pizzas for delivery in the downtown area.

which got me thinking that I probably am not familiar with a lot of the delivery services out there. So what are your favourites? What are the worst? What types of experiences have you had with food delivery in Vancouver?

Cheers!

I only order in Chinese (New Grand View) and pizza (Bella) and as seldom as I can, really...I am addicted to the General Tao's Chicken at NGV. I found them when I lived over in the Cambie area, and was happy to find they deliver downtown as well. I think I used one of those delivery services once, but I find the extra charge (while warranted) off-putting; I'd just as soon go for take-out myself or choose a different restaurant.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I'm waiting for Tricia to wake up and enlighten you on the details of her Thai (?) food fiasco.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

These are my favorites:

Chongquing on 12th and Commercial delivers - and they have the most oustanding Wonton in spicy peanut sauce.

Tandoori Palace on Commercial & Grant delivers as well.

The belly rules the mind.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried Savoury City? The owner used to be chef with Major the Gourmet, then Out To Lunch Catering:

This long and winding road led me to Vancouver in 1999 to head up the kitchen at “Major the Gourmet Catering” as Executive Chef. It was during this period that we took “Best Catered Event” and “Best Food Presentation” for a millennium celebration that was held in Whistler. What a way to start the year 2000! Then, in May of 2001, I was coaxed out of the kitchen and worked for 2 years as an event coordinator with “Out To Lunch Catering.” Although loving the creative challenges as well as the organizational demands of the job, the dream of running my own show kept growing stronger and it was ultimately, now or never!

The menus seem quite interesting and for new timers the 5 meal sampler pack for $65 or $55 seems like a pretty good deal.

I've been considering trying this for a while as I go through periods of not being able to cook at all due to my wacky work schedule.

Of course if Chef Metcalf would come over and cook something similar to this every day for the same price.... I'd be a happy camper :biggrin: (((not to mention delusional :laugh: )))

Back to Savoury City, any thoughts from those who my have tried this service would be appreciated.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown