• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Magazine Best Restaurants 2005

This issue is just out and if the restaurants seem familiar, perhaps it's because some names on the panel are familiar: Judy Amster, Matthew Amster-Burton, Jon Bonne, Bruce Burger... (did I miss anyone?) Cafe Lago gets some good press (Best Neighborhood Italian, best pizza second to Via Tribunali); congratulations to their pizza chef! A few other highlights, Best New: Lark, Best I-District: Seven Stars Pepper, Best Latino: La Carta de Oaxaca, Best French Fries: Frites.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I second the Hurray for Carla and Jordi. Their pizza should be at the #1 spot. :smile:

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Thanks everyone for the congrats! :smile: I am really happy about the best neighborhood italian place title. The write up is so nice, we were honestly surprised by the honor.

The pizza thing is a toss up though (heehee).

Carla

I got a copy at Whole Foods yesterday (right before I gave up shopping there because it was literally too full to move). They didn't have the new issue at QFC, though.

Robert Hess (DrinkBoy hereabouts) was also on the panel.

Many other familiar favorites on the lists as well...

Best new: Lark

Runners up: Union, Lola

Chef to watch: Ethan Stowell (union)

Best Chinatown/ID: 7 Stars Pepper

Best neighborhood italian: Lago

Best cocktail bar: Zig Zag (huge picture of Ben)

Runners up: Sambar, Fu Kung Wu

Best Pizza: Via Trib

Runners up: Lago, Tutta Bella

Best-kept secret: Gypsy

Readers' Choice Best Takeout: Pagliacci (ties with PF Chang's?!)

I also thought that the "10 Very Best" list was better than many lists of this type I have seen. I might quibble with the order, and one or two of the choices, but overall I think it's a solid list.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Cynthia Nim did a great job at pulling this list together. There was a lot of discussion amongst the various folks who helped her with it, and meetings where we got together to share notes and comments regarding some of the choices and categories.

I don't think it would be possible to create "a" list that was clearly definative, simply because there are always differences in opinion and what you are looking for. But the more people you get involved the better chance you have, and this list was definately not created in a vaccume.

Now I've got to go out and try to find my own copy!

-Robert

WHAT THE F&$#!???

PF CHANG'S ???

PULEEEZE....

Hi all :raz::laugh::raz:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

That's completely typical. Anytime there's a "reader's poll," be it The Stranger or whatever publication, the masses always come up with Dominoes as best pizza or some such travesty.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'm glad our compatriots managed to bring some sanity to this issue. When I saw it a couple years ago it was rediculous.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946