• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your favorite Rum country

Rene

Many people on this forum have a favorite country of origen for his/her Rum. I really like Martinique Rum for example.

What is your favorite RUm country? And WHY??????????????????

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

I also love some of the rhums from Martinique, but am glad that to have the opportunity to drink many different rums, rhums and rons. Actually if I had to live in one country, I'd choose one that didn't have a rum industry since almost every rum producing country tends to favor the local spirits and it is difficult to find a variety of spirits. In Guadeloupe, for example, you can't even buy spirits made in Martinique. Variety IS the elixir of life.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of Barbadian rums, especially Cockspur VSOR (I'd better say that the version that you get at Barbados, since Ed once mentioned that the US variety is different), but I like Mount Gay Extra Old as well. What I can remember of the Old Brigand 10 year old that I tasted there, it was a great rum as well.

But, I also like rums from many other islands. Barbados is merely at the top because that's the island where we had our honeymoon... :cool:

It would have to be either Martinique, with Nicaragua or Guatemala tying in for a close second, with Jamaica and Guyana tying in a close 3rd. Cuba would have been in the running for 1st, if they still made rums like they used to 10-15 years ago, but now their quality is but a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...