• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prosciutto

Mottmott

Cook it up in in a pot of tomato sauce, it will release its favor into the sauce. Great for pasta, pizza, etc. Combine this with some parmigianno reggiano rinds...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Cook it up in in a pot of tomato sauce, it will release its favor into the sauce. Great for pasta, pizza, etc. Combine this with some parmigianno reggiano rinds...

I also use proscuitto end + p-r rinds when cooking cannellini beans.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Yep, its also good for stuff like making various types of minestre soups like pasta fagiole, escarole/bean and minestrone.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Jason, funny you should mention that and I will try it. Does it work a bit like anchovy does when added as a base note?

I'm making some stuffed squid in tomato sauce today. I was planning to add some prosciutto to the ricotta filling and wonder whether having it in the sauce, too, mightn't dilute the impact of the ricotta in the filling. (I still haven't decided exactly how I feel about twining a particular flavor throughout a dish so that every element includes it instead of having the individual flavors bump up against each other pristinely.) Now that you've brought this up, maybe I'll put the prosciutto in the sauce instead of the stuffing. Oh, oh, choices, choices.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Great suggestion. Isn't it wonderful how much one's cooking improves by using the bits that so many people discard.

Now that summer is coming I will be making lots of beans. I love to keep them in the fridge for impromptu salads. One of my favorite lazy summer tricks it to keep some beans and rice on hand so I can add whatever raw veggies look best to make a salad du jour - and homemade beans are so much better. And these salads not only taste good but are pretty enough to make a party dish.

Jason, funny you should mention that and I will try it. Does it work a bit like anchovy does when added as a base note?

Yeah, it adds an extra savory "something".

Yeah, it adds an extra savory "something".

I went with putting some prosciutto in the sauce instead of the stuffing. It's all in the oven now. LOOOve braising.