• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yorkshire Pudding

I have read that the "classic " method is to pour the batter into the roasting pan at the end of the roast's cooking, leaving the roast above.  The fats are all roast dripppings and as the pudding cooks, it gets dripped on a little more. 

This is about right. You have to remember that "Roast" beef is now pretty much baked in an oven rather then being roasted in front of a heat source. This site explains it best, scroll down to Dripping pan puddings.

That's a beautiful sight. Spitting didn't occur to me. Makes all the sense in the world. Seeing the picture, I think there's about a zero percent chance that I won't be making this as soon as I can get my hands on a nice joynt of beef and someplace to hook up a spit.

gallery_14011_31_109245.jpg

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I grew up using muffin tins to make Yorkshire puddings. Much more fun - it allows you to have two or three on a plate and I like the shape. My girlfriend however comes from Yorkshire and so has overruled me - we now have a proper tin. :huh:

There are racks of 6 popover pans which can be lifted

as one unit. The cups are larger than most muffin cups.

I love the popovers....but have trouble getting them to

stay 'risen' after a few minutes out of the oven. Any

suggestions? I once attended a party where the caterer

had made all of her popovers in the morning!

I thought using individual tins made them popovers?

There is a previous conversation on this topic here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...5165&hl=popover

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 3 weeks later...
It's incredibly easy to make indifferent Yorkshire pudding, but good ones take a certain tour de main...

My sous chef can make them so pillowy, I swear the bastard hides baking powder up his sleeve.

One that never fails :

1 cup flour

1 cup 50:50 water and milk

1 cup eggs

salt, pepper, 1tsp mustard powder (important)

Sift the flour and mustard powder together.

Whisk the liquids together, incorporate the flour and mustard powder and seasonings.  Let rest for 1/2 hour.

Get the roasting tin and drippings smokingly hot in a 250C oven, pour in the batter, cook for about 20 minutes.

Never open the oven door between putting the pudding in and taking it out at the end.

Happily, yorkies take about as much time to cook as your roast takes to rest.  Nature's kind like that.

Call me silly, but what the heck is 1 cup eggs? How many eggs would that be exactly? :unsure:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

One further question. A recipe I have, calls for making the yorkshire pudding in a cast iron frying pan in a really hot oven. Is this a good pan for making Yorkies?

and I wonder if using convection would make it better or worse?

Marlene

ok folks. I've got a twelve pound prime rib in the oven. Cast iron pan or individual muffin tins for the yorkies? Help!

Marlene

Since I didn't hear back from anyone, I decided to do the muffin tin thing. You tell me if it was a success!

gallery_6080_1132_23035.jpg

Marlene

Since I didn't hear back from anyone, I decided to do the muffin tin thing.  You tell me if it was a success!

I'm sure you don't really need to be told, but those are absolutely beautiful. I have a friend who loves to make Yorkshire pudding, and about half the time it falls on one side or the other like some poor deformed souffle. You obviously didn't have that problem :biggrin:. How was the texture of the little ones?

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I was absolutely thrilled with the way they turned out. I've never had them rise so high before. The one thing I did differently was to rest the batter, which is something I hadn't done in previous tries. Maybe that's the secret?

They were delightfully crisp outside and soft inside. I've never attempted a big one, but I think I'll try that next time.

Marlene

• 2 months later...

I have a question. If I'm spit roasting a Prime Rib and I have a drip pan under the roast, can I use those drippings to make a Yorkshire pudding?

Marlene

Excellent! I did plan on using the oven to make the Yorkie!

Marlene

I should have said that cooking the Yorkie in drippings was the original way, but it assumes the drip tray is as hot as an oven, which it may have been if roasting on a traditional fire (the drip tray is in front of the fire screen), but not with modern rotisseries.

Hmmm. I have one of those modern rotisseries. :hmmm: Maybe I'll just heat bacon fat in the muffin tins and do it that way. I'm likely going to put a rub on the roast too, so I don't know how that would affect the drippings I want to use for the yorkies.

Marlene

Marlene, I've just landed on this thread now, and your individual Yorkies look amazing. People who have failed to make perfect Yorkies everytime (like me), can take consolation from the fact that even Gordon Ramsay worries about the rise in his Yorkshire puddings (on"Hell's Kitchen").

• 10 months later...

I bought a couple of special Yorkshire pudding tins, thanks to seeing Marlene's elsewhere on eGullet.....(just one of her many toys that I covet :raz: )

Anyhow, I've used them twice, & would like a little advice.

What size recipe would you use for 12 of these large cups? How long do you bake them, at what temperature, & how high do you fill each one?

The reason I ask, is that I tripled my usual recipe( 1 c flour 1 c milk, 2 eggs, pinch of salt), because of the new pans' large size. Filled them 3/4 full & baked at 425 for about 20-25 minutes. The result was a nice high pudding, but quite soggy in the middle.

Too much batter in each one? Not cooked long enough? Temp?

Must say, not one was left though....

Edited by jayhay (log)

My family loves Yorkshire Puddings. If I'm making 12 I use muffin tins and if I only want six I use a popover/yorkshire pudding pan.

The recipe I use calls for 1 cup of flour , one cup of milk and 3 large eggs. Salt and Pepper. I add about 2 teaspoons of fat to each cup and heat in a 450°F oven until very hot. Fill each cup no more than 1/2 full.

gallery_27944_2966_1589678.jpg

Edited by Ann_T (log)