• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating out in Liverpool

I'll be in Liverpool for a few days next week and would welcome any suggestions on where to eat. Preferably not too expensive, and I'll be on my own for at least one meal. (I'm also vegetarian, but that rarely seems to be a problem...)

60 Hope Street is fairly good - Paul McEvoy in the kitchen doing some nice things which belie the 1-rosette status of the restaurant.

London Carriage Works is getting good reviews, run by Paul Askew.

Fraiche in Oxton (just over the Mersey) is really rather fine.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I ate lunch at Simply Heathcote's today - one of Paul Heathcote's various northern establishments. Simply done with excellent ingredients. Not sure if there are any lunchtime special deals but, located in the heart of Liverpool's business district, probably not. Nevertheless, a pleasant glass sided room with excellent can-do service.

Yesterday I ate at the Everyman Bistro, underneath the Everyman Theatre up in the university area. This is a very good bohemian type of place. Hot meals are freshly prepared and heated in the microwave in a canteen-style environment. Always good including veggie options.

There are no hotel rooms in Liverpool this weekend, just in case you haven't already booked a place to stay. I've just spent over two hours booking a room. I'm eating at Fraiche so will be able to report back. I'm only staying for one night otherwise I would have gone to the London Carriage Works as well.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

• 2 weeks later...
There are no hotel rooms in Liverpool this weekend, just in case you haven't already booked a place to stay. I've just spent over two hours booking a room. I'm eating at Fraiche so will be able to report back. I'm only staying for one night otherwise I would have gone to the London Carriage Works as well.

I are at the London Carriage Works around 10 days ago. Attending a conference at the Adelphi, I went down to dinner, took one look at what was on offer and fled to Hope St. Being a Monday evening, most places were closed and the Everyman had pretty much sold out of everything. Despite the abscence of a menu in the window or any indication of what was on offer , prices etc, I decided to give the LCW a go. and was offered the choice of eating in the bar or opting for "fine dining". After the Adelphi, I reckoned I deserved a treat, so went with the latter!

The amuse was a shot glass of orange juice and beetroot juice with a couple of crostini blobbed with creme fraiche with dill. Think it would have worked better with a splash of vodka in the juice and horseradish instead of dill, but it was pleasant enough.

Started with a really good rabbit and hare terrine (the waiter announced it as rabbit, hare and foie gras terrine but I think he was ad libbing a bit, i saw no evidence of foie gras). Then a brilliant piece of Welsh Black beef, actually one of the best bits of beef I've eaten in a long time. It came with various fussy vegetables , presentation rather pretentious for my taste but didn't detract from the beef.

The wine list didn't have much in the way of half bottles or anything terribly tempting by the glass , so with a bottle of red wine , a negroni to start and a grappa di moscato to steady my nerves for a return to the Adelphi , it ended up being ratherr more than i'd planned to spend, but worth it.

Next time I'm in Liverpool I'll check out the bar side.

gethin

• 3 weeks later...

Afraid I can't help despite all the great suggestions I was given above - unfortunately, end-of-conference exhaustion and a dodgy knee meant I ended up staying in the hotel with a room service meal. (Not a dining option I'd particularly recommend...) :sad:

• 2 years later...

Both The Patio and Spire, next to each other in Church Road, near Penny Lane, are good.

Try Maharaja - a Keralan restaurant in London Road. Very creative stuff.

Room is also very relaxed and enjoyable - retro with a twist, good wine list, very reliable food and friendly waiting staff.

LCW, Heathcotes, Ziba's at the Racquet club, and 60 Hope St are the well known venues. All very good.

Its really not as bad here as some make out. At least we have two well established fine dining venues in the city centre, whereas Manchester's all end up closing down.

when last in liverpool we made the treacherous journey out to the wirral and found a little gem of a restaurant called gem, anyone been?

blimey matt the wirral isnt that treacherous but yes gem is a good neighbour hood restaurant serving fresh food,but you will have to move quick as its up for sale at the moment