• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a pink drink

Liz Johnson

How about something like white rum with a little pomegranate juice? (not that I've tried it or anything...)

Personally I would do pomegranate juice with prosecco. Or a little campari in prosecco.

I made this drink for a class last year. It's a very accessible drink:

The Pomeranian:

2 oz. white rum

1 oz. pomegranate juice (I used Pom Wonderful)

1/2 oz. lemon juice

1/2 oz. triple sec

1/4 oz. grapefruit juice

Shake and serve up in a chilled glass. Garnish with a lemon wheel.

I also made a nice non-alcoholic version by (obviously) leaving out the rum, upping the amount of grapefruit and topping with soda.

Malibu Bay Breeze:

1 1/2 oz Malibu® coconut rum

2 oz cranberry juice

2 oz pineapple juice

The other drink with grapefruit juice and cranberry is a Sea Breeze. Thats also pretty pink.

1 1/2 oz vodka

4 oz fresh grapefruit juice

1 1/2 oz cranberry juice

You can also try the new Malibu flavors--Malibu Mango or Malibu Pineapple. I also heard that Malibu Passion Fruit flavored rum will be released soon.

I hate to be contrary but I think you should reconsider the blue Pegu Club.  I think you are doing an exceptionally fine cocktail a disservice by subbing blue curacao for the Cointreau or Marie Brizard Triple Sec it deserves.  I feel confident stating that there isn't a blue curacao made that's worthy of replacing either. 

Easiest thing in the world. Do it the old-fashioned way. :) Get a quality triple sec like the ones you mentioned, and add a couple drops of blue food coloring, maybe a bit of orange juice to cut the proof. Instant blue curacao. :)

I feel confident stating that there isn't a blue curacao made that's worthy of replacing either.

I've tried both cointreau and regular ol' cheap curacao and found that because of the aromatics of the gin and the flavor of the two bitters that it doesn't make THAT much of a difference in this case. Of course, I may not have as exceptional a palate as you! :unsure:

Well there's always food coloring! :raz:

One thing to keep in mind if you go the food coloring route is that it stains. As in lips, teeth and tongues. (So does blue curacao, for that matter, since it also contains food coloring.)

Another idea for the pink cocktail would be to substitute blood orange juice for regular orange in just about any cocktail calling for it.

Liz, how well do you know the cocktail tastes of the crowd you'll be entertaining? In addition to avoiding a gin-based  "pink" drink because you're already using gin in the Pegu Club, you might want to go with a somewhat fruitier style of drink.

There are some people coming to this party that I've never met before, so I'm trying to be mindful of that. I'm leaning toward the Campari cooler, though, because I think with the ginger and the syrup it won't be as bitter as some other Campari cocktails.

Maybe if you do a fruit-juice-and-soda drink it will be easier to provide a non-alcoholic alternative.

I'll have sparkling water, fruit juice and sodas, so they'll be fine. I think I'll do a virgin sea or bay breeze for the mom, though.

Aside from the mother to be, there may be people who don't drink alcohol, or who simply want to drink more than one without getting sloshed. :smile:

Huh? Who would do such a thing? :wink:

How about something like white rum with a little pomegranate juice? (not that I've tried it or anything...)

Personally I would do pomegranate juice with prosecco. Or a little campari in prosecco.

I made this drink for a class last year. It's a very accessible drink:

The Pomeranian:

2 oz. white rum

1 oz. pomegranate juice (I used Pom Wonderful)

1/2 oz. lemon juice

1/2 oz. triple sec

1/4 oz. grapefruit juice

Shake and serve up in a chilled glass. Garnish with a lemon wheel.

I also made a nice non-alcoholic version by (obviously) leaving out the rum, upping the amount of grapefruit and topping with soda.

Thanks JAZ, I like this one too. There are a couple of hosts for this party, so I'll make my proposals to the board this week! :biggrin:

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.