• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More bacon?

donk79

I ended up only using 22 slices, which is about a pound and a quarter of bacon. I chose the low-sodium variety for its health benefits.

Sick.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh dear lord.

Gourmandism in its ugliest form... Trenchermania, even.

Using low sodium bacon for its 'health benefits' is akin to having a can of diet coke instead of regular with which to swill the sandwich down.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Whatta hoot and a half! :laugh: Talk about taking one for the team!

Does Jack-in-the-Box know about this sandwich? :cool:

Coming soon to a drive-thru menu near you...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm pretty sure I'm the only egulleter who doesn't like bacon. Upon moving to the U.S., I was surprised at how unavoidable it seems. Bacon in everything!

One day I'll see a baconshake, or bacon toothpaste perhaps. :hmmm:

...I just know it.

the tall drink of water...

...and I used to think I could never have enough bacon!  Now I know that just isn't true...  At least they could have used good bacon.

Yeah, it's not just the quantity of bacon, but also the quality. Not to mention the lame Wonder-style bread. And he didn't even bother to toast the bread--no wonder it disintegrated

Now if I were going to assemble a Bacon Overdose sandwich--not that I'm planning to, mind you, but if I were--I'd go with some high-quality thick-sliced pork product, probably on a toasted French or Italian loaf sliced in half lengthwise, well-lined with mayo and lettuce to prevent leakthrough. A pound-plus of bacon distributed across an entire Italian loaf is still pretty excessive, but at least the excess is diluted over a larger acreage of carbohydrate/larger number of servings.

(Erm ... actually, depending on what time of month it is, this concept might not always look so over-the-top to me ... where did that PMS food cravings thread get to, anyway? :blush::laugh: )

So how much does a pound of bacon weigh after cooking? Of course, it depends on you bacon sample ultimately, but lets take the picture bacon and make an educated guess from that. Can that much bacon possibly be transformed into something reasonable for a single serving? I doubt it, but mizducky's post makes me wonder.

(By the way, I don't consider anything that fits only under the PMS thread or the drunken sncks thread to be reasonable. The hangover breakfast thread has good possibility :biggrin: )

I think a softer wonder stylee bread is great for a baconwich, the fluff absorbs some of the grease...no toasting either, you need that soft cottony mushiness to anchor the bacon into the sandwich. my ultimate bacon sanwich would have oven bacon (so it's perfectly flat and crisp) mayo on wonder with lots of pepper and some parsley. :rolleyes:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

No brown sauce? No butter?

I would have thought there would at least be some mayo.

Yeah, and a couple/three eggs fried hard in the bacon grease!

As my sister in law said upon hearing of an all you can eat offer: But you're not supposed to eat all you can eat!

• 1 month later...

using decent bacon and worthwhile bread diminishes the point entirely. Its obviously more of a self-dare than a dish.

Reminds me a while ago of an old blog/forum game when someone would post a picture of several unrelated ingredients. Whoever posted first would get to pick the first combination of three ingredients for the original poster to combine and eat. olives, cottage cheese, and syrup kind of stuff. Then, those ingredients are off limits after the pictures are posted and it continues till all ingredients are gone. Always good for a laugh.

As over the top as this seems, there is a restuarant off of I-75 in Birch Run, Michigan, that claims that counting three strips of bacon is too taxing for their cooks. Every side of bacon starts as a pound raw as does every BLT.

This place is a favorite of hunters in the fall, on their way up north.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

As over the top as this seems,  there is a restuarant off of I-75 in Birch Run, Michigan, that claims that counting three strips of bacon is too taxing for their cooks.  Every side of bacon starts as a pound raw as does every BLT. 

This place is a favorite of hunters in the fall, on their way up north.

The restaurant is called Tony's I-75 Diner.

Absurdly huge portions, staff are all ex-cons, nice highway diner ambience.

Try it if you never have......quite trippy :wacko:

P.S. I mean really huge portions...e.g. the 'small' spaghetti is a mound about the size of a basketball :huh:

The BLT you mentioned is indeed a pound of bacon....deep-fried...that's right, deep-fried, so it comes out a curly crispy twisted jumble...and served on a whole loaf of Italian bread. The sandwich is about 8" high and comes stabbed with a huge steak knife......Holy cholesterfest!

I'll repeat...quite trippy.. :blink:

we are quite a bacon family...

my boys love going out for brunch, because it's the only time they can eat bacon endlessly, and I am not counting/looking. (When I do ask them how many pieces they have eaten, like all good kids, they lie!)

anyway, bacon sandwiches are very common in our house for breakfast. The kids will often make them for themselves, before school (I have my kids very well trained, you see)

My eldest, who is now 16, 6'4" and 265, has been known to put at least 8 or 10 slices on a toasted sandwich. One time he did make one with 16 slices, very similar to those photos!

we affectionately call him "the nitrate kid"

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

We laugh about the time my wife made BLT's for supper. I had to work late so she put aside 10 pieces of bacon for my two sandwiches, then left on a errand. One or all four of the kids(no one ever fessed up) whittled that down to two pieces about half size. So I ate the bacon plain and had lettuce and tomato sandwiches. When she got home I said something smart assed like thanks for the all the bacon. Kids...

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Houlihan's (the Friday's like chain) used to have (or maybe still does have?) a BLT that has at least half of a lb of bacon on it, maybe it was a full pound... anyway, it was the best sandwhich deal there.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

They still do. My second son who is away from home now (in the Marine Corps) would only order this when we ate there. He would count the pieces of bacon on the sandwich everytime to see if it was always the same. He'd be a prime suspect in the above bacon caper except for the fact he always fessed up to any wrong doing. I'd like to say that next time he calls home I'd ask him about the # of bacon slices on the Hoolihan's BLT, but I won't because I'm to busy with more important conversation.

BTW, those pictures of the bacon sandwich made my mouth water. In fact I was sort of wondering why he only put a pound and a quarter of bacon on it. I would have went for the whole two pounds. To me it's like eating just half a bag of Oreos or Doritos (neither of which I eat on a regular basis), what the hell I just eat the whole bag. In case anyone is wondering, for the record I'm 6' 0" and 185. My wife couldn't believe the time I polished off two bags of double stuff Oreos. First I went through the first bag making quadruple stuffs(pull two cookies apart and push the two halves with the most filling together and then eat the two leftover unfilled halves. When done with this you eat all the quadruple stuffs you've created with lots of milk. For some reason that night one bag wasn't enough so enter bag number two. And yes my stomach hurt when done.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I just want you all to know that I have to leave now and go downstairs and make a bacon sandwhich.

The power of e-gullet

We want pictures.

I just want you all to know that I have to leave now and go downstairs and make a bacon sandwhich.

The power of e-gullet

We want pictures.

Uh oh.....too late. Verbal discription..very soft white bread, hellman's mayo thinly spread on both sides and nuked precooked bacon that I usually use for salads doubled layered (its thin) inbetween. nothing else. Thought about cheese but was too lazy to slice and this was all about the bacon anyway. I'm gonna have to start keeping some nice thick sliced stuff around here. Well that's breakfast!

I've asked for this before...(ahem, Jason!)

but when are we going to get Smell-o-vision?

This thread is the perfect candidate!

(off the track, but have you all seen the BACON air freshener? We gave one to my husband year before last for Xmas. He has it hanging in his office. Of course, it looks just like a piece of bacon! :laugh: )

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.