• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More bacon?

donk79

Everyone has (or should have) a bacon story. Here's mine: about 10 years ago I moved from Cambridge, Massachusetts to Santa Monica, California. My buddy and I moved me, renting a 26' foot Ryder truck. We took the interstate the whole way driving 13 hours a day. Now, we knew the food was going to be crap the whole way, but it was my bright (and, subsequently, entirely stupid) idea that when we had to stop to eat we would only eat at the "local" offering, because we didn't want to leave the interstate. There was McDonalds, Denny's, and another chain I hate, and then the local place. So we chose the local place in Sheridan, Texas thinking we could get some decent, or at least intersting food. We got "interesting" food. An appetizer intrique us. Called chicken-fried bacon.

Out came a platter (about a foot long) piled high (about 3 inches high) of 1/16th inch thick one-inch squares of bacon dipped in beer batter and deep-fried in lard and served with huge dollops of mayonnaise on top. There was enough to feed 20 people. We assumed this because we had 3 bites each and it was enough. Everyone else in the "restaurant" weighed about 300 pounds. Later when I told this story, people would ask "was it good?" I would answer "oh course it was good, it was fat deep-fried fat in fat sauce."

Damn that sandwich looked good.

Would have looked even better with decent bread, butter, and pepper bacon. It looks like Im gonna be bakin' bacon in the morning.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.