• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trotter at the Ryland Inn

tommy

what's the story with this.  the ryland inn's website has next to no info from what i can see.

Hi tommy...

For information on Chef Charlie Trotter’s speaking engagements ..., please email Mark Signorio: mark@charlietrotters.com.

He's been in NYC quite frequently as the new restaurant project continues. I saw him at Bouley last month.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

thanks, paul.  although i hope he does more than just speak.  i'm sure he's a great chef, but he's about a charasmatic as a mailbox.

We first saw something about Trotter's appearance at the Ryland Inn a few weeks ago - it's supposed to be a dinner, but I can't recall offhand where we first saw this. However, Ken sent email to the Ryland Inn inquiring about menu specifics, and got a reply that he'd be notified as more details become available.

We saw Charlie in person about five years ago when he did a food/wine demo at Macy's in Herald Square (De Gustibus). I'm guessing five years ago because I believe that was when I was recuperating from yet another operation and couldn't drink much wine - ok, so I really wasn't supposed to have any, but I took a sip or two anyway, hee.) Although I don't recall the specifics of what he cooked, I do remember that we asked one of the servers whether it was possible to have a sample of one of the dishes with an "offending ingredient (pork or shellfish)" left out, they came back with something that was obviously freshly-made - and well worth the slightly extra wait time.

Oh yes - I think Ken got one of his then-new books autographed. I think it might've been "Kitchen Sessions."

It's been up on the Ryland Inn site for a while now. As has be stated, details are pretty scarce to the best of my knowledge. Like many northern central Jersey diners I'm very excited about the possibility of attending this event. Will it be Trotter's interpretations of Shelton's dishes, stuff from Chicago, or maybe a preview of the project in NY. Quite exciting.

thanks, paul.  although i hope he does more than just speak.  i'm sure he's a great chef, but he's about a charasmatic as a mailbox.

LMAO!!!!!!!!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species