• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I get a good waffle?

waylman

I have a major craving this morning...I want a nice Belgian waffle with fresh fruit. I live on the North Shore and have no idea where I can get a good waffle! I know De Dutch only serves up pancakes...anyone have any suggestions?

In Arne's Foodblog, we went to Patisserie LeBeau. On the weekends, they serve their Belgian waffles with a variety of toppings! During the weekdays, you can only get their waffles without the topppings, but they have all these interesting flavours. My favourite was the mango, and my least favourite was the apple custard.

Edited by Ling (log)

I like Sophies on 4th, lots of fresh fruit, whip cream and freshly made

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Here's a link to photos of the waffles that Ling and I sampled on our trip to Patisserie LeBeau with Arne. Belgian waffles topped with fresh fruit are, as noted by Lorna, available on weekends only.

If you're looking for a more diner-ish atmosphere, the Tomato Cafe on Cambie at West 17th also serves Belgian waffles with sliced fresh fruit, vanilla-honey yogurt and maple syrup as part of their breakfast and brunch menus.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I went to Lebeau a little while ago, and have to say I was disappointed. The waffles are pre-made and sit in the display case! Having read great reviews, I was expecting fresh waffles as a matter of course (never assume, I suppose). If street vendors can do it in Europe, surely an established bakery can, too.

I know at Glowbal they have Belgian Waffles cooked to order, but only on Saturday and Sunday brunch. I think they come with white chocolate mouse on top and caramelized bananas, and they are buttermilk waffles.

Well, at my house I make wafles, and then I will insert a slice of ice cream, and voila, a simple but amazing ice cream sandwich. I just love getting square box of ice cream and slicing off an inch. Yum

• 4 years later...

So does anywhere in Vancouver top Medina Cafe for waffles these days?

I tried the new-ish Michi Waffle & Espresso Bar on Robson the other day but wasn't impressed.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 1 year later...

Have you guys tried Miura Waffle and Milk bar on 829 Davie Street. They do delicious Savoury and sweet waffle sandwiches. Great for lunch. My Fave is the Korean Bulgogi Waffle Sando.