• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

For Grits Fanatics Only

Jennifer Brizzi

To follow up on a thread I began a few weeks ago about what grits really are, I ordered some of those high-end, organic, very chic grits from Anson Mills, both the quick (half hour) and the regular (1-2 hours). Both versions are amazing. We had the quick ones for breakfast with fried eggs and bacon, and the regular with my take on a classic Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits (not as good as Hank's in Charleston). I didn't use as much milk as recommended due to a lactose-intolerant diner, but they were creamy, corny, and full of soul.

I had some Mill at Riverside stoneground grits I had brought home from my trip to S.C. (I have four kinds of grits in my house right now--I must be nuts) and I did them overnight in the crockpot on low--excellent and easy. I put the leftovers in one of those plastic takeout pint containers and after it chilled overnight I fried the sliced round moons in butter and drizzled them with maple syrup. The moons would have been great topped with something saucy and savory, too.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the universe as crazy about grits as I am; glad there are more of you out there...

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

I have "several" types of grits, including the Antebellum white from Anson Mills, and both white and yellow from Falls Mill in Tennessee, Bob's Red Mill Organic and home ground from sweet white dent corn from Kentucky (cousin's farm).

So you can see you are not alone in the GRITS department.

If you have a deep fryer, you can pour your cooked grits into a shallow baking dish to about 3/4 inch deep, then when set, cut into 3/4 inch strips which cross cut into (approximately 4 inch long) pieces, dust lightly with potato flour (or regular flour but potato or rice flour is better)

and deep fry till golden brown.

These are tasty with a savory sauce or a sweet syrup but maple syrup is my favorite.

They are even better with crisp bacon finely crumbled and mixed into the grits just before pouring into the baking dish.

My neighbors like them with hot salsa. I often make them for our weekly shared dinners.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The problem here (nor cal) is even finding regular grits. I just got mine from the Old Milll at Guilford in North Carolina. I've fixed them with dinner the past 2 nights. Last night along with Chicken Picatta and tonight along with a grilled pork tenderloin with cranberry ketchup. The grits are great, I could eat them every day. My s.o. fed them to our dogs (spoiled mini-schnauzers) and they love them too. Though with the cream and butter they don't get much. I'm sure as I find them I'll get other kind of grits as well. All I need now is more recipes, though the way I did them turned out excellent as it is.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I usually get my grits fr/ Nora Mill up near Helen, GA. They may not be the best in the world but it gives an excuse for me to run up to north Georgia and play in the mountains. They do have a web site and do mail orders (www.noramill.com)

Matter of fact I did a beef grillades and grits for dinner this evening and made some extra for pan frying w/ eggs for lunch tomorrow. I wish the Fuss liked cat fish b/c one of my favoritest meals in the world is blackened cat fish over grits w/ craw fish "gravy" and fresh tomatoes pan-fried in the left over fish butter.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--the best cat ever.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 2 weeks later...
We had the quick ones for breakfast with fried eggs and bacon, and the regular with my take on a classic Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits (not as good as Hank's in Charleston). I didn't use as much milk as recommended due to a lactose-intolerant diner, but they were creamy, corny, and full of soul.

I did grits with a crawfish sauce a couple of weeks back.

Kevin

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. -- Mark Twain

Visit my blog at Seriously Good.