• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campari Cocktails

eje

That's my usual course lately as well (it's fine with a reposado too but a blanco's best). I was using Patron XO for the coffee liqueur and tequila seemed appropriate. Very good.

Right, I tried a reposado first and thought a blanco would probably fit better, even though I usually prefer reposado. Anyway, it's a winner.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I made The Professional last night. It's nice enough but I couldn't shake the feeling it needed something else. I intentionally used a sweeter bourbon, Elmber T Lee, to offset the funk of the rum.

Incidentally, I remember trying some coffee liqueur-laced Negroni variation a while ago. Might be the same one being discussed. But yeah, I don't think the flavour combination worked at all. I'm sure some amari would pair nicely with coffee liqueur (I mean, I have a bottle of Illy I don't get much use out of) but Campari? No. I mean, you'd think 'bitter + coffee' would work but it's almost like shiraz and milk chocolate. Too many bullies in the playground.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

3:2:1 bourbon-Campari-S&C.

Rafa is right. It's from the Bartender's Choice app which I recommend getting if you haven't already... Amazing collection of cocktails for $2.99.

Thanks to both of you. Sounds right tasty!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 6 months later...

I almost want to keep this one to myself because it's SO good. The Professional by Benjamin Schwartz: bourbon, Campari and overproof Jamaican rum.

Delicious. Enjoying it now. Any references. Ratio. Bar name, year, etc?

It's a tough name to google for.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I almost want to keep this one to myself because it's SO good. The Professional by Benjamin Schwartz: bourbon, Campari and overproof Jamaican rum.

Delicious. Enjoying it now. Any references. Ratio. Bar name, year, etc?

It's a tough name to google for.

Dan,

Glad that you like it (I don't dare ask about your wife this time!).

It's from the Bartender's Choice app, credited to Benjamin Schwartz, Little Branch, NYC, 2010.

• Like 1

Okay, stupidity ensued. My first "Professional" was 1:1:1 Smith & Cross, Cocchi Vermouth, and Campari. VERY tasty, but not professional or a Professional. My second attempt was the correct Bourbon, Smith & Cross, and Campari. Also very nice, but maybe not quite as the other. I'm not sure at what point I got the Cocchi....

I think my third attempt with be a Cocci / Smith & Cross Perfect Negroni variation. That sounds very promising.

Was a Red Lantern discussed???

http://stirandstrain.com/tag/smith-and-cross-jamaican-rum/

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

The REALLY funny part is that I found the recipe here:

http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/professional

Rafa is always ahead of the game.

Seven months ago, I correctly anticipated that Dan would need a real pro cocktail.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

The Professional is really good. Bourbon + S&C is a combination that doesn't seem like it should work but somehow does. Colin Shearn's Transatlantic Giant is another cocktail that pulls this duo off, balancing the spirits with a few other powerhouse ingredients (Cynar, sloe gin, cacao). More on topic, I made a variation on it with Campari (and mezcal) for MxMo. It tastes like a s'more roasted on a forest fire.

Making dis. Of course, I'm out of Campari, which makes me just as bad as FrogPrincesse, who I believe is still out of Cynar.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

The Professional is really good. Bourbon + S&C is a combination that doesn't seem like it should work but somehow does. Colin Shearn's Transatlantic Giant is another cocktail that pulls this duo off, balancing the spirits with a few other powerhouse ingredients (Cynar, sloe gin, cacao). More on topic, I made a variation on it with Campari (and mezcal) for MxMo. It tastes like a s'more roasted on a forest fire.

Making dis. Of course, I'm out of Campari, which makes me just as bad as FrogPrincesse, who I believe is still out of Cynar.

ETA Friday for the Cynar, but I would like to point out that I am ahead of you two regarding the "Red Lantern". It's a Kingston Negroni with a different name.

• 2 weeks later...

Campari Smoke and Seltzer.

Check the thread under Cocktails - Smoked Maple Syrup

This is a great low alcohol low sugar summertime cooler that can be jacked in a coupla different ways, and it actually brings the complex bitterness of the Campari to a tolerable level and shows it off as the sophisticated aperitif that it is....

My favorite Campari cocktail is a Boulevardier variation. (A cheap and differently-garnished version Boulevard des Reves from Chuck Taggart.)

2 oz bourbon (Elijah Craig 12)

1 oz Campari (or, better yet, Luxardo Bitter)

1 oz vermouth (Cinzano or Stock--M&R is a little too light)

Stir over ice, strain into a glass, flame an orange peel over it and rub the rim with the peel; float a generous barspoon of Smith and Cross, and flame another orange peel over it.

The double flamed orange really makes a difference.

• 5 months later...

I found this one browsing around Kindred Cocktails, and it is a real winner when one is a Campari sour mood.

Ten Month Anniversary

2 Oz Campari

1 Oz Rye (Rittenhouse)

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

Shake, strain, up, lime twist

I just love the simplicity of this. And the ratios work so well, despite looking odd at first.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Probably a bit more the retail? The formula didn't change too much from what I've heard; the new one night be a touch sweeter, but I wasn't drinking Campari then so couldn't say.

That said you could feature it in deliberately anti hipster drinks, announcing it as non-vegetarian...

Edited by Hassouni (log)

attachicon.gifIMG_0415.jpg

Last night "The Brother's Perryman" - used Genever instead of regular gin. Not a favourite initially but developed nicely over time.

I love how over time the Campari bottle gets ever closer to empty. :-)

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

• 1 year later...

That looks tasty (and I find I've already got it in my Kindred cocktail book, but not rated yet).  I shall have to try it.

But the Campari bottle is looking rather empty.  Oh dear; another trip to my suppliers seems inevitable ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 2 months later...

Aperitif (Joy Napolitano via Gaz Regan) with Campari, Dolin dry vermouth, St. Germain elderflower liqueur. It is supposed to be carbonated which sounds very nice, but I lack the necessary equipment. It feels very much like an Americano. The Campari is front and center, with the St. Germain smoothing out the edges. Light and lively.

Aperitif (Joy Napolitano via Gaz Regan) with Campari, Dolin dry vermouth, St. Germain elderflower liqueur #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #campari #stgermain #101bestnewcocktails

• Like 1