• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast Beef

howard88

I am planning on roast beef for six.

The local markets have top round for $2.34lb. and

Australian boneless rib roasts at$3.99 lb.

Price aside, I am looking for maybe eight pounds and

naturally good taste. Knowing that Aussie Beef has

little fat, which one would you go for. I am thinking of

low and slow cooking to 120 degrees and resting to 130.

naturally good taste.  Knowing that Aussie Beef has

little fat, which one would you go for.  I am thinking of

:wub: Bones off, either one is fine. Method I used last week. It works, just have faith..Weigh the roast with the bones correctly. Multiply this by 11 minutes. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Roast seasoned the way you desire for exactly the time (weight X 11). After cooking, turn off oven and do not open door for one hour. Roast is perfect, pink in center, charred on outside, oven is a little messy. IT was fabulous

Edited by AK@Spicehouse (log)

:wub: Bones off, either one is fine. Method I used last week. It works, just have faith..Weigh the roast with the bones correctly. Multiply this by 11 minutes. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Roast seasoned the way you desire for exactly the time (weight X 11). After cooking, turn off oven and do not open door for one hour. Roast is perfect, pink in center, charred on outside, oven is a little messy. IT was fabulous

Ha ha ha. I use this method for (bone-in) prime rib roasts also but 550F amd 7 minutes.

Howard: Top round sucks. The only roast worth roasting is rib, bone in or not.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

:wub: Could work also, but I am not sure the home oven can get to 550.. I speak to 60 chefs a day in NYC's top restauarants. One of the country's most celebrated gave me the 500 degree at 11 min/pound. Top round is a little vile, Recipe works with all rib roast cuts, I had bones removed, (7 ribs) then had them tied on to cradle the meat, rather than a rack.

AK

Ha ha ha. I use this method for (bone-in) prime rib roasts also but 550F amd 7 minutes.

Howard: Top round sucks. The only roast worth roasting is rib, bone in or not.

Rib.

6 hours IF your aim is an endpoint of 130F, why put it in an oven much hotter? You will only overcook the outside, and undercook the inside.

6 hours at 140F will be perfection and will let some of the collagen dissolve to give the nicest beef you ever tasted.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Thank you all.

Jinmyo, rib roast it is.

jackal10, what is 140 degrees c. in Farenheit?

The buy is $3.99 a pound for boneless rib roast.

Yes I love bone in roasts for flavor and munching,

perhaps next time.

I am still planning on low and slow.

• 6 years later...