• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MD/VA Artisanal Cheese

Tweaked

If you are a cheese lover, then you should pick up the April edition of Saveur, which devotes the whole issue to American artisanal cheese. They rank their top 50 favorites and 2 are in this region.

Everona Dairy in Rapidan VA. Apparently they are Virginia's only licensed sheep dairy and produce raw sheep milk cheese. Saveur calls their cheese "earthy and full of sheep's milk flavors and goes well with big red wines."

Firefly Farms in Bittinger MD. They produce goat cheese and Saveur liked their Mountain Top Bleu. The cheese is surface ripened and aged for 5 to 8 weeks. They also recommend their Merry Goat Round, a goat's milk brie.

I read this issue cover to cover on my trip home yesterday. Fantastic stuff. There is also supposedly a fantastic cheese shop in Charlottesvile? I can't remember the name but I'm tempted to take a road trip....

Firefly Farms in Bittinger MD.  They produce goat cheese and Saveur liked their Mountain Top Bleu.  The cheese is surface ripened and aged for 5 to 8 weeks.  They also recommend their Merry Goat Round, a goat's milk brie.

Cheese! <B>Goat</b> cheese! Near my mom's! Whoo-ho!

Sadly, I don't recall any of the stores near her carrying any of Firefly's product. Of course, I might just be looking in the wrong places.

If you are a cheese lover, then you should pick up the April edition of Saveur, which devotes the whole issue to American artisanal cheese. They rank their top 50 favorites and 2 are in this region.

Everona Dairy in Rapidan VA. Apparently they are Virginia's only licensed sheep dairy and produce raw sheep milk cheese. Saveur calls their cheese "earthy and full of sheep's milk flavors and goes well with big red wines."

Everona Piedmont is made by Dr. Pat Elliot, she's an old fashioned country doctor who lives in the foothills. I've visited her farm a couple of times to pick up cheese and she is a reallly passionnate individual, with a great staff and what can only be described as a really happy herd of sheep. Everona is really one of the great cheeses out there

If he is thin, I will probably dine poorly. If he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.”

Fernand Point

Cirrcle Bistro, Potato Peeler

I tasted the Firefly Farm goat cheeses at the Georgetown Whole Foods before Christmas, and I believe I have seen them there since. I have to admit that I was not impressed enough to buy any at the time-- a bit dry and grainy, as I recall. Too bad Heidi in Rappahannock County has stopped selling her cheese to the public, though she may still be providing it to the Inn at Little Washington. Her fresh chevres and aged tomme were truly superb.

This is Jill from Cheesetique in Alexandria. Just so you know, we have a huge number of the American cheeses covered in the Saveur article (including Everona and Firefly Farms). And we're a heck of a lot closer than Charlottesville. Feel free to come on over and taste!

Edited by Virginia2005 (log)

Jill Erber, Cheese Lady

Cheesetique Specialty Cheese Shop

Alexandria, VA

I was in San Francisco last week and paid several visits to the Cowgirl Creamery cheese shop in the Ferry Building. (DO NOT miss the Ferry Building Market the next time you are in San Francisco - it is fantastic.) In addition to their own artisanal cheeses, they sell wonderful cheeses from around the world. At the Saturday Farmers Market in front of the Ferry Building (also a must do) they had a booth where I met the owners of Cowgirl Creamery. They told me that they are planning to open a shop in Dupont Circle, hopefully within twelve months! Both are originally from this area. This will be a tremendous addition to DC. We talked briefly about Cheesetique, of which they were familiar and complementary.

I hope their plans pan out. I have only been able to get to Cheesetique on weekends, when it is quite a zoo, so a Dupont Circle fromagerie will be great.

I admit, I rather like the Firefly Farms Allegheny Chevre. If you're looking for a fresh goat cheese to use in a cheesecake or as a dessert component, I think this is a good candidate. It's excellent with honey and baguette. A little chalky, very fresh and sweet tasting. Not a "challenging" cheese--nothing stinky or aged about it--but quite good for what it is. I almost always order a log from Gourmeco when I'm placing a work order from them. They also sell it at the TPSS natural foods coop in Takoma Park sometimes.

I work at the cheese shop mentioned in the "Saveur" issue. It's called Feast and it's in Charlottesville, VA. Definitely worth the 2 hour day trip from the DC area. If planning a road trip, visit the website before coming out, feastvirginia.com.

We are so excited about this month's "Saveur" issue. Not only because of Feast's mention, but for all the articles and recipes featuring cheese.

Being from the DC area, I'm also excited to hear about Cowgirl Creamery coming to Dupont Circle. My dad lives right there, and is CRAZY about cheese. Thanks for the good news.

everona also got a nice write up in the April "Virginia Wine and Food Society Newsletter." just happens that the author of the article in the owner of feast in c-ville. i've also found some nice chevre called "LaDoVel" from a cheese maker in Fork Union, VA. he's pretty creative with some herbage (hmmm-what a GOOD idea!) i stumbled upon heidi (is that really her real name?) the rappahannock goat lady a few summers ago. she was selling to some local wineries for consumption in the tasting rooms. i had a taste of her chevre at Farfelu vineyards and knew that i had to find her. she's suspicious of city slickers and very protective of her cheese. and has a three-legged herding dog.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Thanks for mentioning the VA Wine Guide article. Here is the article, if anyone's interested in learning more about Dr. Pat Elliott and her sheep's milk cheeses:

http://www.virginiawineguide.com/foodAndWine13/

Hope the link works! For those within driving distance to Charlottesville, it's definitely worth a Saturday morning road trip. The City Market (outdoor farmer's market) is one of the best farmer's markets I've ever been to. Dr. Pat Elliott is a regular fixture as are other local cheese makers. Not to mention a ton of other delicious homemade foods.

When Feast first opened in 2002, we decided to open an hour earlier on Saturdays to accomodate the City Market crowds. After buying all the fresh local goods from the Market, people wanted the experience to continue. Since we are right up the road on Main Street, it's easy for these shoppers to come in, and add even more value to their selection - cheeses, cured meats, wine, etc.

I'll shut up about the awesome place where I work. I'm moving in September to the west coast and will really miss Charlottesville and Feast - mainly because it cultivated my greatest passion - FOOD! If anyone's planning any trips out here, let me know and I'll write up some must stops with a food focus, naturally!

When I lived in DC, one of my favorite local cheesemakers was Pipe Dreams Fromage (Greencastle, PA). They make very good cheeses in the French tradition.

The P Street Fresh Fields used to sell their cheese and several restaurants (Obelisk, for sure) served it.

When Feast first opened in 2002, we decided to open an hour earlier on Saturdays to accomodate the City Market crowds.  After buying all the fresh local goods from the Market, people wanted the experience to continue.  Since we are right up the road on Main Street, it's easy for these shoppers to come in, and add even more value to their selection - cheeses, cured meats, wine, etc. 

We have found the same fantastic response in Del Ray. We open at 8 AM on Saturdays to accomodate the our farmers' market crowd (it's right next door). People love the old-world feel of visiting their local market and then hitting the cheese shop. Great way to start the day -

I must head down to Feast. I am sad to admit that I've never been - but I hear wonderful things about it.

Jill Erber, Cheese Lady

Cheesetique Specialty Cheese Shop

Alexandria, VA

Feeling the same way about Cheesetique! I lived in Fairlington and worked in Old Town, Alex. for 3 years! Wish you had been there back when I lived in the neighborhood. We'd frequent Monroe's and Evening Star!

Will definitely stop in next time I'm in town and introduce myself!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to find info about Everona Dairy online... can anyone give me info on getting to the farm? Or going to any other cheese makers in VA? I'd like to take a day trip out to the Epicurious Cow, cheese makiing farms, wineries, etc.

Anyone know of any other good foodie type places within daytrip-distance from the Disctrict?

As far as Pipe Dreams, they have an amazing aged goat with vegetable ash that sells at the P St Whole Foods right now and can usually be found on the cheese plate at Palena ( we had it as of earlier this week, at least.)

And as far as Cowgirl Creamery, I've been emailing with Sue Conley and it sounds like thing are coming along... I'm excited, are you?

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

I can't seem to find info about Everona Dairy online... can anyone give me info on getting to the farm?  Or going to any other cheese makers in VA?  I'd like to take a day trip out to the Epicurious Cow, cheese makiing farms, wineries, etc.

Anyone know of any other good foodie type places within daytrip-distance from the Disctrict?

Here is some info...

Everona Dairy

23246 Clarks Mountain Road

Rapidan, VA 22733

(540) 854 - 4159

Story here...

Firefly Farms is possibly worth a trip.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.