• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I love Seattle

You folks have it good there in Seattle I have to say. A family visit brought my wife and I and our two little girls out to your fair town and man did we eat and drink good. A few of the highlights:

a nondiscript Pakistani place in Greenwood

Gorditos

Ray's (the apps were great, the entree's average, the view fantastic)

Nishino (great sushi, great sake selection, imaginative chef selections, service, the whole works)

Whole Foods (really inspiring, much better than the one here in Bellingham, MA)

any coffee shop but especially that on on capital hill that my brother only refers to as "the temple" and Diva in Greenwood and Cafe Fiore in Ballard and a bakery that (next to Tall Grass in Ballard) that I can't recall the name of. Lots of great microbrews and wines not available here in the east. You folks are sooo lucky.

Tim

any coffee shop but especially that on on capital hill that my brother only refers to as "the temple" and Diva in Greenwood and Cafe Fiore in Ballard and a bakery that (next to Tall Grass in Ballard) that I can't recall the name of. Lots of great microbrews and wines not available here in the east. You folks are sooo lucky.

Tim

That would be Cafe Besalu. Seattle Magazine just named their baker the top baker in town. I remember calling about getting some croissants for a weekend brunch--you can call in your order so he'll make extra for your party! The pain au chocolat is to die for!

Karen

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

Exactly. Everything there was perfect, the quiches, croissants, the pain au chocolate and brioches. And him just behind the counter busting out tarts etc. was inspiring. There was a constant line when we went and even when we drove by.

I think so, there was a little market on one side and a teriyaki place on the other. What's with all the teriyaki? I wanted to find out for myself, but I literally couldn't squeeze in the time, as I was busy eating :biggrin: .I was staying at my brothers house, 83rd and Freemont, so I was on Greenwood daily. I forgot to mention that the PCC market is a decnt alternative to Wholefoods in a pinch, and that the oyster guy at the farmers market in the old town in Ballard has great oysters(we had pacifics, kumamotos, and a east coast variety he started farming) And another thing, a used bookstore(again, on Greenwood) has a great selection of cookbooks. You see? I'm crazy about your town, and KEXP! I could just go on and......

Whole Foods (really inspiring, much better than the one here in Bellingham, MA)

I live on the Cape and drive to Bellingham once a month to shop at Whole Foods. It doesn't hold a candle to the one in Santa Fe (which is where I moved from), but it's a heck of a lot better than WF in either Framingham or Hingham.

Seriously, try the raspberry corn muffins at the bakery there. Just as good as something you might pick up on a stroll through Pike's Place, or at the Macrina Bakery, or the Dahlia Bakery in Seattle... man, I eat well whenever I'm in Seattle, too.

Besides, Bellingham's Whole Foods carries Iggy's bread and water buffalo milk yogurt. And that makes me happy.

Edited by Verjuice (log)