• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Custom Made Cookie Cutters

MarieinLA

I need some custom mini cutters (nothing too complicated, just not available) - has anyone found a source they recommend? I found several online, but thought I would check with you first.

Thanks!

Ledette Gambini

Leda's Bake Shop

Sherman Oaks, CA

www.ledasbakeshop.com

I have had a couple of custom cutters made by Sugarcraft.

They are probably one of the sources you have already found.

I checked with another company, Kitchen - something, but they could not get the cutters done by the time I needed them. As I recall they were a bit cheaper.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone plans on making their own, an easy way to do the bends is to get a wire bending jig.

Like this!

You can often find them in hobby shops.

It is small, only about 4 + inches long, and can be screwed down to a board or work bench - I have one back in my studio that is screwed to the top of a cheap wooden stool I got at the unfinsihed furniture place for $3.00 because part of the top was damaged on one side.

The stool is just the right height so I can sit in a chair and work on the jig.

You just draw your design on paper, then start at one end of the strip and make the first bend to conform to the pattern, then work your way down the strip of metal until the pattern is complete.

It is much easier to control the bends when you have both hands free.

This little tool is cheap for what you can do with it.

You can also use it to make decorative things for your kitchen

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 11 months later...
I need some custom mini cutters (nothing too complicated, just not available) -  has anyone found a source they recommend?  I found several online, but thought I would check with you first.

Thanks!

How mini?

Lots of them at Michael's Craft Store around the isle with wax and candle molding. They are the smallest I ever found.

for anyone interested in the chocolate plastic I buy Barry Decor from Cocoa Barry and get it from Chef's Wharehouse. I think they do sell to the public from their web site.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

I've had this catalogue knocking around my desk for awhile but I haven't used them or anything. The company is the American Cookie Cutter Company and it says to contact tacc1@netzero.com or call 1.866.953.7769 for info.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

• 3 months later...
I was recently at an ICES convention and met a guy who makes all sorts of custom cutters... pretty much anything you could think up he would make. On his brochure it says, "you can simply say "1978 Volkswagon Beetle, make it 5 inches wide" or send in a photo and he can make it. The company is called FrankenCutters. The website link I have for him is www.frankencutters.com/fc

Wendy, those shoes are absolutely fantastic!

I've used him before to make me a custom copper coffin shaped cutter (for Halloween). Great customer service.