• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Garden Hits New Low (non-Spectra Franchise)

Sam Salmon

You may have noticed that some Bread Garden franchises have been sold off by the old Corporate owner-which I think was Spectra foods.

Anyway the old original BG down by my place (1st & Cypress) has changed a number of features under new ownership.

The saddest part of these poorly conceived changes is selling Muffins that have been made days in advance, frozen and then thawed to be sold as 'fresh'.

Not just that they've boosted the price too!

LOL!! :raz:

The new owner must not realise that their apparent shortcut will cost them customers-somebody somewhere has miscalculated.

Upon inquiring of a Staff member @ Ist & Cypress this AM about the change I was told "they were always done this way".

That may be true for as long as that individual has worked there but the BG @ Granville & 14 (still corporate owned AFAIK) still does things the old fashioned way-if I'm there just after 0600 hrs I get fresh made warm Banana Chocolate Chip just as I have for years. :hmmm:

You mean lower then selling sushi at Chevron Stations? Spectra actually retained 4 locations including the one you speak of which houses it's corporate headquarters upstairs. This is what I was told by a cousin of mine who was purged during the sale.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Anyone remember when the Bread Garden on 1st was the hottest late night spot in town? Late 80's?

In a word, yes.

Egad. Now we're both showing our age. :blink::laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, and that age is not quite as old as most everyone else. Boo-yah!

And what the hell was the appeal of that place? I remember it was more hippy-ish back then, but really remember very little else. I can only imagine if someone propsed stopping at a Bread Garden on the way home late at night now. "So, uh you wanna stop and get a coffee at the Bread Garden on the way home?" Me, "no." (Unless of course we're going to throw stale pastry at Sam as he pops in for his early morning Strawberry Banana Fibre muffin.)

*edited to add the part about throwing mediocre pastry at fellow e-gulleters .*

Edited by Keith Talent (log)

And what the hell was the appeal of that place? I remember it was more hippy-ish back then, but really remember very little else.

Well as I recall 'back in the day' it was the first of the now common Bakery Cafes.

As to Gas Station Sushi it's a good thing I was only driving a bicycle not my truck when first I saw that sign. :blink:

It didn't compute at all and my attention was seriously diverted.

A few years ago I spent some time working in the Spectra head office which is located directly above the 1st Ave location. It was sheer torture working there in the morning. All you could smell was baking bread or muffins or cookies. Thankfully I wasn't there for very long. This was before they started showing up in gas stations, which I have been subjected too, and the quality has gone downhill.

You mean lower then selling sushi at Chevron Stations?

Yeah, even my 13 y.o. son thought that was odd ...

"Sushi from the Bread Garden ... that's just not right!"

A.

Forget the wasabi, I want mine with Techron!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

As for frozen pastries, Tim Horton's has moved in that direction as well. I am not sure if that has been covered elsewhere or is a blinding flash of the obvious. Neptune Foods put in a 200,000 square foot freezer just to accomodate all of those "Fresh Doughnuts". I have not been to a TH in a while - what is their catch line ?

"Fresh Baked" ?

"Oven Fresh" ?

"Oven Baked" ?

"Previously Frozen" ?

"Mass produced in Ontario" ?

"Trucked out with Techron" ?

"Now available at better gas stations with Sushi !"

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Mmm, gas station sushi.

Anyone remember when the Bread Garden on 1st was the hottest late night spot in town? Late 80's?

i remember those days very well indeed... they used to have the best chicken caesar... well it tasted really good after a night of debauchery lol :wink:

i think we should go all there and tell them that its crap. BOYCOT the goddamn BG, Cobs, starbucks, safeway,etc that abuse our vigilance by playing on the convenience factor. Support our local businesses that support our local farmers and growers!!!

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

And what the hell was the appeal of that place? I remember it was more hippy-ish back then, but really remember very little else.

Well as I recall 'back in the day' it was the first of the now common Bakery Cafes.

As to Gas Station Sushi it's a good thing I was only driving a bicycle not my truck when first I saw that sign. :blink:

It didn't compute at all and my attention was seriously diverted.

I think it was one of the first places in the west side to serve lattes in soup bowls.

'member when it was super cool to drink lattes out of big bowls?

Hmmm, maybe it still is cool and I am just old and anti-cool.

Anyway, it was better after the bar then a chile dog from 7-11, which was my late teen post-party snack.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

i think we should go all there and tell them that its crap. BOYCOT the goddamn BG, Cobs, starbucks, safeway,etc that abuse our vigilance by playing on the convenience factor. Support our local businesses that support our local farmers and growers!!!

Yay! Destroy the machines! I'm in.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Ummm Eddy? Doesn't boycotting mean you don't go to a place? :wink:

Bread Garden served its purpose for me ... in the form of Cinnamon Knots :wub: and Latte's before work back in the 80's ... and now I've moved on. If they can make a living selling what they do, all the power to them. I'm not going to deny someone the right to pander to the lowest common denominator. I just won't support it, that's all.

A.

you'd be suprised at how many places serve previously frozen croissants. although they are baked after they come out the freezer.

i also spied what looked like 'Tenderflake' pastry shells (look under the chocolate) at a place that gets lots of egullet love...

3wc

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

I use to work at the factory near Grandview Hwy and they did everything from scratch 3 years ago. When I started they were on the verge of new management, even hiring a Swiss pastry chef to run the bakery.

It sounds like they're going the "American" way. I get the Modern Baking magazine from the states and a lot of bakeries are heading towards pre-made items.

I always thought BG is used for scouting dates, esp the Kits location.

The BG in our neighborhood is one of the ones that just got a make over. Went once and will not go back. Badly laid out and just ok products..I used to be a "spectacoide?" and the BG in my eyes always struggled with format, service and products.

Edited by DamianW (log)

Harry Sturhahn chef/owner

Central Bistro & Lounge

you'd be suprised at how many places serve previously frozen croissants. although they are baked after they come out the freezer.

i also spied what looked like 'Tenderflake' pastry shells (look under the chocolate) at a place that gets lots of egullet love...

3wc

I think i know where you mean and I thought the same at first. Now i am wondering if it is a sugar cookie-type dough - not very flaky pastry.

I noticed the 1st and Cypress Bread Garden, right around the corner from me, tried to fancy itself up as well. Shiny new display cases and all.

< Linda >

How come no-one has mentioned that the Bread Garden on Granville & 14th has closed?  Has it closed forever or is it going to reopen?

Well the building is empty with a second story being added and there's a "thanks for your patronage - visit us at other locations" sign in the window, so I don't think they will be re-opening anytime soon.

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

edm Posted Mar 24 2005, 03:57 PM

" i think we should go all there and tell them that its crap. BOYCOT the goddamn BG, Cobs, starbucks, safeway,etc that abuse our vigilance by playing on the convenience factor. Support our local businesses that support our local farmers and growers!!!"

I agree! Solly's makes great pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that are out of this world when the

chips are still soft from the oven.

Maybe we need to give out some eGullet awards-the picks and the pans!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West