• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream in Arlington?

baranoouji

So I've settled in (thanks to everyone who helped me to find the good stores!), got sick with bronchitis, got better, and had our first impromptu dinner party the other night. In spite of too few chairs and cutlery, it went well until people decided that they wanted ice cream.

I rattled off the choices I knew: 31 Flavors, gelato at Tivoli's (unfortunately we had a few vocal gelato-haters), and some corn/durian ice cream at my local Asian food store (also encountered resistance here).

We ended up going to the Baskin Robbins on Columbia Pike, since we had not a clue as to where the neighborhood ice cream gems were hiding.

Kind denizens of the area, can you help me? Another one of these parties, and my guests may decide on heavy drinking in lieu of ice cream/malts. Then I'll not only have a shortage of chairs and cutlery, but also plates and breakables.

-Most sincerely,

E.

PS. Maybe I can get York Castle to move here. Right across the street would be ideal.

Edited by baranoouji (log)

Not really on Columbia Pike, but certainly much closer (and tastier) than the BR on 50 is Lazy Sundae (2925 Wilson Blvd next to Faccia Luna and Mexicali Blues in Clarendon - Phone: (703) 525-4960). They have a rotation of off-the-wall flavors, mix ins, and most importantly, it's inexpensive.

Enjoy!

Some of York Castle's flavors are the original Gifford flavors from the early '80's and before (they had a store on Columbia Pike in Baileys Cross Roads at one time).

Lazy Sundae is a good suggestion. Thomas Sweet on Wisconsin Avenue near P, arguably, is DC's best store bought ice cream. Two Amy's (of all places) has as good of ice cream as I have ever had anywhere in a restaurant. Serious. Some on here rave about Del Rey Dreamery on Mt. Vernon Avenue for frozen custard. I am not a fan of theirs'. I AM a fan of Neilsen's in Vienna whose custard is very similar to Kopp's in Milwaukee which is the world standard for this. (16% butterfat custard is unheard of-Milwaukee Frozen Custard, locally, is 11% butterfat for comparison). There are literally three stores within one block of each other on King Street in Alexandria, one of which is Ben and Jerry's. Dean and Deluca in Georgetown carry several New York brands as does Balducci's. Whole Foods used to carry Dallas' Out of a Flower which is $7.50 a pint (12 ounce container) and almost worth it for several flavors.

Balducci's, by the way, is once again carrying Lewes Dairy pasteurized cream while Whole Foods has Harrisburg Dairy cream top milk. For those who make their own ice cream.

For heavy drinking AND ice cream try Coco Lopez, rum, vanilla ice cream and ice in a blender. Awesome!

Since we're talking store bought as well, does anyone know if you can find Blue Bell ice cream anywhere in the DC area - preferably NoVA? Does Whole Foods have it (seeing as it's a TX HQ store)? I'm having a craving for their praline pecan...YUM!

Since we're talking store bought as well, does anyone know if you can find Blue Bell ice cream anywhere in the DC area - preferably NoVA?  Does Whole Foods have it (seeing as it's a TX HQ store)?  I'm having a craving for their praline pecan...YUM!

oh....man....if you find blue bell let me know. I've been craving that stuff for the last 7 years since I left Texas. Blue Bell beats anything. I have fond memories of my late aunt having gallons of Blue Bell Vanilla in her fridge.

If you can't find it, I think Edy's isn't that bad. Not Blue Bell though.

I'm also a Lazy Sundae fan. It has a nice, creamy consistency.

I was in Thomas Sweet the other night (not aware of its ice cream's good reputation) and was so skeeved out by how unclean the place was that I ended up getting the soft serve yogurt. Just curious, is their ice cream worth risking food poisoning?

Also, has anyone tried Icy Isee across the street? I'm a little scared off by the price, but it is supposed to be authentic Argentinian gelato (i.e., some variation on the Italian kind).

I like the icecream at Arax Cafe, an Armenian cafe in Westover (washington blvd) in arlington. They have someone making them icecream. It is graet, but not cheap.

Doesn't Sinplicity (an upscale icecream maker that supplies restaurants) have a shop in S. Arlington?

-Jason