• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I must be really hungry

I tried a wrap at Barnes & Noble once -- straight from the fridge case, to the microwave, to me, via the surly employee. It was pretty icky. I prefer the wraps (and surly employees) at Booeymonger :raz:

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

One thing I've had at Borders that I really liked is the Bali Hai Chai, which is a spiced chai with coconut flavor. The first time I had it was in a Borders in CT, and they made it with a steam infuser attachment to the espresso machine (This was a while ago, so I'm a little sketchy on the details...suppose it could have been just the steam head, but it made a noise unlike any I've heard an espresso machine make!). Every other time I've gotten one in this area, it was your standard 'powder and hot water out of the coffee machine' job, and nowhere near as tasty as that first one (which I think might have been made with milk, too...don't recall now).

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

:laugh: I must be starving -- I just had a vegetable and hummus wrap at Borders here in NoVA and it was really really good.  :blink:  :biggrin:

Anything good cooking at your Borders?

The problem with the food at both Borders and Starbucks is not that it tastes like crap, but that it just seems overpriced. The sandwiches and salads appear about a buck too expensive, and the baked goods too pricy by some smaller amount.

But they obviously get enough starving customers to justify the prices. :laugh:

The problem with the food at both Borders and Starbucks is not that it tastes like crap, but that it just seems overpriced. The sandwiches and salads appear about a buck too expensive, and the baked goods too pricy by some smaller amount.

But they obviously get enough starving customers to justify the prices.  :laugh:

The Harvest Apple Torte at Starbucks is really overpriced at something like $3.25, but it is also really delicious. I had some kind of sandwich at Borders that I liked... I think it was just a bunch of cheese on a sundried tomato roll. Of course, I'd eat a rubber tire if you put enough cheese on it, so, grain of salt.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media