• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English Food

My in-law's are coming to town for two weeks next month. They are very British and love their daily tea and english fare. Does anyone have any suggestions for great tea places ( high tea or just tea house) and good english food. No smoky bars or dive joints. I'm willing to drive so it can be 30-40 miles out of Seattle.

Thanks a lot!

istara (great cheese!)

my future in-laws are brits too. i suggest the new celtic swell on alki for pub food of the beans on toast or bangers and mash ilk. sounds like your in-laws might be a bit classier than mine, but if they'd like a smithwick's or a harp - they might like celtic swell.

i am pretty sure the fairmount (former four seasons) downtown does a high tea - at least they did when they were still 4S. and i found this for you too - a guide to local teahouses. it's from september, so may require a phone call or 2 to make sure they're still going.

have fun!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I've had high tea at the B&O Espresso on Capital Hill, and it was lovely. Great finger sandwiches and scones, bite-sized desserts, and a good selection of teas.

Here's their <a href="http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/10772928">page on Citysearch</a>. There's some conflicting reviews on the service and the quality of the food there, but in my experience it's always been quite nice.

My class took a field trip to the Woodmark Hotel in Kirkland a couple days ago, to tour their kitchens and have time with the executive chef, Alex Nemeth. He mentioned they do afternoon tea and high tea there. Our lunch wasn't one of those but it was very good, and the surroundings are posh too, along with lakeside views:

Woodmark Hotel

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

About high tea... high tea is basically a hearty tea with meats that functioned as a lunch/dinner replacement for poor people where tea was the featured liquid. It was called high tea because you ate it at a high table, like a dinner table or a restaurant counter and you weren't lounging about drinking it from low tables in a sittting room. Afternoon tea is the fancy finger food stuff, no matter what ignorant hospitality people at hotels call it in the US and Canada. Which exactly are you looking for?

For your inlaws, it might be nicer for you to just stock the house with some decent loose tea and a teapot, most places don't prepare tea that well. Peet's Coffee is actually one of the better places to have a pot of tea but I don't know if they're in Seattle yet. Teacup in Queen Ann used to have a really nice selection of teas and would also brew you a pot. I don't know if they serve afternoon tea, but it's worth a check if that's what you're looking for.

regards,

trillium

I haven't been, myself, but my Seattle tea-fancying friends swear by the afternoon tea at the Queen Mary in Wedgewood.

My favorite teahouse in Seattle was the Kuan Yin, but that place, while IMO excellent, is not going for the British feel--it's more an all-round gourmet tea establishment with a decidedly new-agey feel (it's within a block or three of a major naturopathic training school, a number of whose students and staff seem to find their way over there).

Or if you really want to go for the gusto, you could always take your folks on the boat up to Victoria BC for afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel. That I have done, and it's fabulous, as is all of Victoria. (Save time for the BC Museum if you go.)

Edited by mizducky (log)

While I reccomend that you go there, the Queen Mary's afternoon tea has some issues. First of all, it's a bit pricey, and their reservations are very dicey - they lose them, they make you wait 30 minutes even if they admit you have them etc., plus some of the decor is just too cutesy - I don't much care for Calico bunnies & teddy-bears with my tea... But all of that aside they make THE BEST afternoon tea I've found in Seattle: excellent quality on the foods, both savory and sweet, and good portion sizes.

the British Pantry is great for supplies, (bakewell tarts, yummy cheeses, shortbread, teas etc) and the attached restaurant "Neville's" does a nice simple afternoon tea, as well as good british food for lunch/dinner (I loves my Bangers and mash! :wub: )

I had afternoon tea in the Georgian room at the Four Seasons about 5 years ago, and while the space was lovely, and the food was tasty, the portions were so small that we literally had to go get something to eat when we left :shock: if they've improved on this it would be a lovely break in an afternoon of touristing about the downtown....

I'm told that Elizabeth & Alexander's up in Bothell does a nice afternoon tea, but haven't checked it out yet.

If it's still in business avoid a place in the U-district called "High Tea" at all costs. They're actually some kind of teriyaki joint that lies & says they do afternoon tea, (you have to make reservations & everything) but it's really just a sliced up safeway danish & some fruit with a cup of tea in a room that reeks of sesame oil :angry:

Oh one last warning re Queen Mary, because it's the best game in town you'll probably go there so you should know that they only serve afternoon tea from 2pm to like 4pm, but will accept your reservations for outside those hours even when you specificy "afternoon tea" but then will refulse to serve your tea when you arrive...

Being a tea junkie is just plain hard in this town :blink:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

My in-law's enjoy casual tea spots not the uber fancy tea experience.

I think the Queen Mary for lunch sounds great and I'll check out B & O in Capital Hill.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Also, World Spice on Western under the Pike Place Market has great tea. They sell a large variety in bulk in the lower level of the store. I don't think this is strictly legal, but you can sit on their couches and sample perfectly made cups of anything you are thinking about buying. I think they still do a traditional Oolong service for maybe $12 or so. No food, but sitting in there all comfy and cozy after walking around the market is a great break. The tea itself can't be beat.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?