• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Brewing in the DC area

Tweaked

I've been checking out the Annapolis Home Brew shop...has anyone tried their products?

You are likely to get a much better response to this question at beeradvocate.com

Check out the Groups section of the website and post either in the Homebrewing or South Atlantic sections.

A friend and I recently brewed some beer at Shennendoah Brewing. They have a Brew-on-Premises setup. Basically, they provide you with all the ingredients and equipment. You can use whatever recipe you'd like (or they can provide you one). I used to do alot of homebrewing, but now that I don't have a basement (or somewhere else to keep the fermenting beer at a low enough temp), this is a pretty good alternative. Plus, the worst part of homebrewing, the cleaning and bottling, are much easier due to the washing and bottling equipment they have. The prices are pretty reasonable. I'd recommend doing a lager there, as they use better yeast for this (cultured as opposed to dry, which they use for ales and isn't as good).

Chris Sadler

Home Brewing in the DC area, anyone doing it?

No, but I'd like to one of these days. My former roommate did, and I never interrogated him on how he did it (I've got the basic idea, of course!) or where he got his stuff.

A friend and I recently brewed some beer at Shennendoah Brewing. They have a Brew-on-Premises setup.

:shock: Cool! How many trips do you need to make?

Edited for actually going to look at the page: Two trips.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I've done brewing at Shennendoah, too, and enjoyed it very much. The wait time between the brewing and bottling runs from about 3-12 weeks, depending on the type of beer. You can do custom labels, too.

They also sell beer on site, bottled, and in growlers, and I think they're the best brewery in the DC area.

There are a few other home brew supply suppliers in the area, though I know Total Brewing Component Supply in VA closed recently. Haven't tried it myself, though, I'm planning on a batch of bathtub gin first.

I've been checking out the Annapolis Home Brew shop...has anyone tried their products?

I think you might also get a better response on the Beverages & Libations board here, under the Beer Forum. we wait to welcome you; LOTS of homeberewers chime in there.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Check out the homebrew forum at RateBeer. I know that some of those folks are from the DC/Balt area. There is also a local homebrew club, cleverly titled BURP (Brewers United for Real Potables).

Cheers.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com