• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-Kosher Passover Meal for 25

AK@Spicehouse

:shock: My main problem is not what to cook, although I would love some interesting ideas. We are multinational, mutli religons all sitting together for the dinner. My problem is space and its relation to cooking for an army. On stove top is Lobster pot full of chicken soup, with Matzo balls and noodles ready to be served. Gefilte fish is from fish guy, not jar, and chopped liver is on plates with garnishes. Now I have an oven, a broiler, a microwave, 4 burners on stove and a roaster. What do I do ? Make brisket day before and reheat ? Turkey and reheat ? Side dishes have to cook and be warm also. Timing with small kitchen to produce complete event. Deserts are bakery bought... Thnaks

kugels are good sides...and are fine reheated. blintzes? time consuming to make though.

hmm.. I get that it's not kosher... but what kinda noodles are we talking about?

My aunt in Brooklyn used to make a huge pot of chicken fricassee whenever she had the extended family over her house. It was always a favorite with everyone, and had the advantage of being a relatively low-impact dish that could be made ahead, could stand up to reheating, and could stretch to feed a crowd.

When I grew up enough to hear about French and American-southern fricassees, I did wonder about the Jewishness of my aunt's dish. But apparently, at least according to the notes to this recipe, versions of fricassee have been kicking around American Jewish households for a long time. My aunt's recipe was a little more like this one, with meatballs in addition to chicken.

P.S. You didn't mention if you had a crockpot available--that might help with the cooking/serving of this big spread you're planning.

My aunt in Brooklyn used to make a huge pot of chicken fricassee whenever she had the extended family over her house. It was always a favorite with everyone, and had the advantage of being a relatively low-impact dish that could be made ahead, could stand up to reheating, and could stretch to feed a crowd.

When I grew up enough to hear about French and American-southern fricassees, I did wonder about the Jewishness of my aunt's dish. But apparently, at least according to the notes to this recipe, versions of fricassee have been kicking around American Jewish households for a long time. My aunt's recipe was a little more like this one, with meatballs in addition to chicken.

P.S. You didn't mention if you had a crockpot available--that might help with the cooking/serving of this big spread you're planning.

:raz:

Will get Crockpot this weekend, and need a new Dutch oven. Will double Chicken recipe, looks tasty. Found a recipe for Potato Kugelettes, Mini-muffin sized, reheatable. Brisket is day before, can make the chicken day of. What goes in Crockpot, ?? Any ideas

Thanks

Will get Crockpot this weekend, and need a new Dutch oven. Will double Chicken recipe, looks tasty. Found a recipe for Potato Kugelettes, Mini-muffin sized, reheatable. Brisket is day before, can make the chicken day of. What goes in Crockpot, ?? Any ideas

Thanks

The fricassee would be a good candidate to either cook or serve (or both) in the crock pot--that's why it came to my mind. One less thing to take up burner space on your stovetop.

Edited by mizducky (log)