• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum from Thailand?

danimal

<blockquote> Hi all, </blockquote> a while back, I was talking to another importer. She specialized in Asian liquors, so I asked her about Asian rums. She told me that she had imported rum from Thailand. What do you know about that? <br>I've also heard about rons from the Philippines. Does anyone have any experience with them? <br>I'm looking for a new brand to import, something out of the ordinary. <blockquote> <blockquote> Dan </blockquote> </blockquote>HAP LLC, Mesa, AZ <br>Click <a href="mailto:danimal_57@yahoo.com&subject=Ministry of Rum">here</a> to e-mail me.<br>http://www.geocities.com/danimal_57/rum.htm

Twenty years ago I had some rum from Thailand and it was memorable, but not something that I'd pursue. The Philippines on the other hand, make some great rums and a lot of it. I have a couple of people tell me in the last year that they were the importer of Tanduay from the Philippines, but I haven't seen it on the shelf yet.

And since Dan admits to looking for some other rums to import, if you have been looking for some One Barrel Rum from Belize contact him. He's a little shy.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

In thailand there is Sang Som Rum. They also do a liquor.

In the Philippines there is Tanduay (http://www.tanduay.com/rawmatls.htm). It is big company and they are very popular amongst the Philippinos. They do several types of Rum (TANDUAY 5 YEARS, TANDUAY GOLD, TANDUAY RHUM 65, TANDUAY WHITE, TANDUAY PHILIPPINE RHUM, TANDUAY DARK, TANDUAY CENTENNIAL RHUM, TANDUAY E.S.Q., TANDUAY SUPERIOR). They also do Whisky, Gin, etc. Plenty of possibilities.

India also produces a lot of Rum (different, but that is what you wanted). Check Peters RUmpages (www.rum.cz) for a huge list of producers overthere.

Good luck and write which Rum you took.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sang Thip is a whiskey, I belive not a rum. But it has a sweetness like a rum. There is a resort on Khoa Lanta who had a drink called the Devils Chalis(sp) which was a pint of Sang Thip, a cup of fresh pineapple juice, one bottle of sprite, thrown in a large rice bowl with a handful of straws. the whole table partakes nuzzling for a straw, trying to get the last sip, the lifespan of this cocktail is under 10 seconds. Usually waking up naked on the beach followed.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE