• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morels & Wild Garlic

I'm trying to locate some fresh morels in London. Any Suggestions.

What about Wild Garlic#? I know the name implies that I should be forraging into my wild larder, but my dockside flat has little to offer in the way of natures finest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by UkFoodie (log)

I'm trying to locate some fresh morels in London.  Any Suggestions.

What about Wild Garlic#?  I know the name implies that I should be forraging into my wild larder, but my dockside flat has little to offer in the way of natures finest.

As suggested above, Booths at Borough MArket have morels and fresh(wet) garlic, I don't think I have seen wild garlic yet but it is available at borough market when it is in season.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I saw both morels and wild garlic at Borough last friday lunchtime. I think it was at the "The Wild Mushroom" - or whatever the stall is called which is on the edge of BM on the opposite side of the road to Appleby's Fish and the Market Porter.

And yes, morels were £50/kg.

Speaking of morels - I always meant to ask this question.

I bought some about a year ago at a produce market while in Paris. I carefully brought them home with me on the Eurostar and lovingly kept them wrapped in paper before deciding 24 hours later to sautee them with veal. When I sat down to clean them I noticed they were riddled with worms. This really, really put me off. In the end I just couldn't bring myself to eat them. A complete waste.

Long story short - is there a reliable way of cleaning morels?

Speaking of morels - I always meant to ask this question.

I bought some about a year ago at a produce market while in Paris. I carefully brought them home with me on the Eurostar and lovingly kept them wrapped in paper before deciding 24 hours later to sautee them with veal.  When I sat down to clean them I noticed they were riddled with worms. This really, really put me off.  In the end I just couldn't bring myself to eat them. A complete waste.

Long story short - is there a reliable way of cleaning morels?

Morels don't take up too much water, so can be rinsed without ruining their texture. It's not a mushroom that is particularly prone to infestation, though, so I think you were just unlucky (try looking at any dried ceps, and they'll be full of wormy little holes).

I'm trying to locate some fresh morels in London.  Any Suggestions.

What about Wild Garlic#?  I know the name implies that I should be forraging into my wild larder, but my dockside flat has little to offer in the way of natures finest.

Uncanny. Whilst walking by the river in Ludlow last Wednesday, we came across masses of wild garlic growing freely. I picked some to help marinade some fantastic lamb chops we had bought from one the town's excellent butchers and then we carried on with our walk. Who should we see on our way back doing the very same thing? Actually, 'fraid that would be telling now wouldn't it ? :wink: