• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mother's Day in NJ

Rosie

The busiest day of the year for restaurants!!  That's the last place I'd wanna be --- unsociable glenn

[i need a very fast suggestion for a gift for my step mom in Fla. or else I'm gonna be doomed to get flowers yet again -- does mother's day come earlier every year?]

My mom told, um hinted, that she wanted a massage. Now that doesn't mean I give it to her, it means I buy her a gift certificate for a day spa. Do you think your step mom would like something like that?

Rosie, we're going to brunch at The Office in Summit. Don't get me started. My bro & I planned too late, so we have an early reservation (10AM) and mostly the location was picked because there's a park across the street for the kids to play afterward and we won't all have to rush off to our respective quadrants of the state.

glenn, try vermont teddy bear.  they seem popular.

we're grilling some eats at home, weather permitting.  oh hell, i'll grill either way, but i just be wetter if it rains.  going out on mother's day does seem to be a not-so-great idea.  but, some mothers like it, and that's all that matters.

We'll be meeting my mother, sister/brother-in-law, and niece at Restaurant Nicholas in Middletown.   Since they live in Toms River and we're in Hillsborough, this is something of a central location for all.

Since we'll be coming home from a dance weekend in Northeast PA in mid-afternoon, we couldn't ask for an early reservation (and my mother hates buffets anyway).  Ken was fortunate enough to get a 6:30 reservation when he called Monday afternoon; but it seemed as though they still had plenty of openings at the time.  And the place was still getting calls for Mothers Day reservations when we arrived a little later for the walk-around wine tasting.  (Of course, who knows if anyone's got a chance by now, though.)

Looking forward to another meal at Nicholas...

Helena Robinson - Hillsborough, NJ

Rosie,

... and i thought your replies to me indicating "Go Blue" was just you being social, now i know you've actually spent some time in Ann Arbor!!

I don't mean to get off topic for this thread, but have you had BeBimBab at Steve's Lunch?

I could talk Ann Arbor food for an eternity (Blimpy Burger, Mountain Jacks, Zingerman's, etc)

Go Blue!

Never heard of BeBimBab at Steve's Lunch? But I have been to The Whitney in Detroit. Actually, my daughter got her undergraduate and graduate degrees at A2 so we visited there often and of course left alot of money at the school! I still salvate when I think of the sandwiches we ate at Zabar's. You should start an A2 topic on the appropriate board.  Go Blue! :biggrin:

I guess The Heartland would be the best place to post about A2.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

WE've dicided to go to Point Pleasant, have some oyster shooters at Jenkinson's, fried food, and get a head start in collecting our arcade tickets for the  year.  Yes, many moms brag about ivy league schools, quarterback heros...but my boys are the KINGS of arcade games. Dubious distinction, I know... but until you've actually SEEN Dillon plop those quarters in..you just can't appreciate the skill! LOL!

Glenn--How about a gourmet gift basket from Zabar's or Zingerman's, Ann Arbor, MI?

Too late, the flowers are on order  :angry: But what is Zingerman's?  [the yuppie in me is panting in anticipation of a new store to blow my dough on]

Zingerman's Website

I know, i didn't think it could be true either, but this place rivals any NY deli.

Their specialty is "grilling" sandwiches (like a reuben) but they do mail order also.  Their philosophy is "buy the best we can, or don't buy it at all."

My favorite is a #18 (Georgia Reuben) which is best when they make it, but they'll also do a mail order and send you all the ingredients to make 4 sandwiches.... but all of their stuff is EXCELLENT.

And just so i stay on topic with this post, i think we're going to China 46 for Mother's Day :)

Glenn, It is worth a plane ticket to fly to MI to go to Zingerman's. It is quite an experience. We have had food sent as gifts and reportedly it was excellent. They have a catalog and a newsletter.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Hmmm, looks very tempting -- nice website too.  Should I book reservations for you and me?  It will do wonders for my um, weight management program --- thanks a whole lot, Rosie.   :smile:

• 11 months later...

Mother's Day info is on Table Hopping With Rosie this week.

http://www.njmonthly.com/issues/May03/rosi.../rosiemain.html

In the Verona area you can go to Trattoria Fresco, R's place or Mangia Questa. Haven't been to Luce's in a long time. In Montclair I would recommend Corso 98.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE