• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Words for Children

On a thread about labor snacks, a few of us have been writing about our kids and using food terms. For example, our Bebe, who arrived in the world at 5 lb 7 oz, has been called a "peanut" by just about everyone, and it is sticking (for now).

It got me to thinking about what other food words people use for their children. We're also wondering whether or not those nicknames are used in other countries and cultures.

So, please share your own food nicknames and any that you know from cultures other than your own!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Ryan was "pumpkin" for the first 3 or 4 years of his life. Mostly because he was a little over 10lbs when he was born, and he had the roundest pumpkin face.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

these were our endearing terms ... these work well in French but not in English

petit chou

translates as little cabbage

petit coco or beau coco (boy) petite cocotte or belle cocotte (girl)

translates as little or lovely egg... coco being "egg" in child speak. While coco can also mean the cocoa bean, it's the egg reference that applies to little ones

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

We've referred to my friend's daughter as "The Bean" since she was still in the belly...not even sure why, but I'll still ask "How's the Bean?" :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I signed myself up for one of those weekly pregnancy email updates. At about 6 weeks, the email said the baby was the size of a lentil. So my sister nicknamed the baby Lentil and it has stuck, even though I'm now at 19 weeks.

My brother gets a little pissed off when I call my nieces the "snack-sized adults"

I may have to start calling the four-year-old a jigger before too long.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My three-year-old daughter insists on "Jelly Bean." If we try to call her "Pooky" or "Punkin" or "Sweetie," she insists, "I'm Jelly Bean!"

Not sure where she got that one. There may be a few around the house this coming Sunday but we don't usually have them on hand.

:rolleyes:

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

When Noah was first born, I called him Jellybean right from the get-go because, to me, he looked like a little jellybean all curled up in my arms. Shortened occasionally to Bean, Beanie or Noah Bean, and sometimes just plain B.

Once Noah reached the sitting-up stage at 5 months old, Ian started referring to him as his "little sack of potatoes" because, once again, that's what he looked like. A chubby little sack of potatoes. And heavy like one too!

And now I call him Pumpkin Pie. :wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

the baby in my life is called "the p" in fact when she was officially registered there was a naming event to debate if "the p" should be included..hands down we all wanted to keep the p - lower case of course.

She is Madelaine p Byron (last name witheld for her privacy!)

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Metamora recorded a fun song to one of their babies: "Little Potato".

My grandfather always called me half-pint. Not quite food, but food-related.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Not my first choices for the plat de jour, but my nicknames for my daughter are still food: Turtle and Turtledove.

My Granddad called me his little Sugarplum.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

At some point in our childhoods, my little brother got into teasingly calling me "Ellen Ellen Watermelon." I hated it.

It was in college when the nickname "Ducky" was hung on me. My brother was actually responsible for that one too. I liked it a helluva lot more than his previous effort, and that nickname in some form or other has stuck to me ever since. And yes, I am a figurative cannibal in that I adore duck. (Hmmm ... overdue for a roast duckling adventure ... have to see about rectifying that ... )

Off on a tangent: the family lore is that my very first spoken words were "apple pie" ... closely followed by "pizza pie." Food fascination obviously started way early. :biggrin: