• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delivery Pizza in Vancouver

PaoPao

One of the worst things about living in an area where great stuff is around the corner is laziness. When you have most everything satisfied as far as particular culinary tastes in a 3-5 block radius it just makes that one thing you don't have access to even more troubling. For me it's good delivery pizza. There are just some days a good pizza pie, a movie, a beer or three, and my lady are just what the Dr. ordered. (Not necessarily in that order)

I've tried Bella's which is around the corner, Capones, and even Urban Fair. While two of those are not necessarily delivery, they are within a block or two so I can drag my lazy butt over there to get it. All very mediocre. Do any of the higher end Italian places in Yaletown do good pizza?

If I can just convince Da Franciscos to open a second location in Yaletown my world would be almost perfect. I've made the trip all the way over to E. Hastings for a pie but inevitably by the time I get it back to my place, that perfect thin crispy crust has gone soggy.

So where do you turn to for you pizza delivery cravings?

I'm getting so desperate that I may even resort to getting a pizza stone and making it myself! Don't let this happen people! :raz:

It sounds like you are looking for European style thin-crust pizza. While it is not a high-end Yaletown establishment, have you tried Amadeus? Their website is here. I have never taken their delivery but have had slices at their pizzeria and generally it is quite good. Also there is of course Nat's Pizza if you are looking for more of a NY style. Their website is here.

Both deliver downtown according to their websites.

Cheers!

I used to be a big Amadeus fan, it's still my second choice. Their pizza crust delivered gets a little soggy. My first choice now is Zaccarys on Oak at 16th across from Max's Deli.

www.zaccaryspizza.com

Zaccary's Special (Spicy) was good, but too spicey for me so I go for the Vegetarian Executive. The pies are more expensive than Da Francesco's, but IMO taste fresher.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Also there is of course Nat's Pizza if you are looking for more of a NY style. Their website is here.

Both deliver downtown according to their websites.

You got my vote for Nat's; the kits location, makes one of the best pizza around, just my opinion.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Wow, I am so not a pizza connoisseur...I like Bella because they use a doughball like they do in Montréal :wub:

But I like all kinds: the thin, greasy kind you have to fold in half (NY style?); the thinner crispy kind sometimes; I really like the kind some regions make in a big cookie sheet or whatever, that get sliced in rectangles, those are really good cold.

Mmmmm, pizza!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I tried nat's, both a margarita and a sausage and mushroom I think and wasn't very impressed with either. the sausage and mushroom was surprisingly bland, and the margarita was fairly boring (yes, even for a margarita).

I love the pie at da francesca, but down here, I think I'm going with panago.

But I like all kinds: the thin, greasy kind you have to fold in half (NY style?); the thinner crispy kind sometimes; I really like the kind some regions make in a big cookie sheet or whatever, that get sliced in rectangles, those are really good cold.

Haha. The thin greasy kind - yes, NY style. We like to call it well oiled. :wink:

I think the other type you are referring to is what they call Sicilian style in NY. Not sure what it is called here, as I haven't seen it anyplace. Do they serve it in Vancouver?

Cheers!

Haha. The thin greasy kind - yes, NY style. We like to call it well oiled. :wink:

I think the other type you are referring to is what they call Sicilian style in NY. Not sure what it is called here, as I haven't seen it anyplace. Do they serve it in Vancouver?

Cheers!

I don't know, Marc-David...that's another thing I loved in Montréal. :sad: Actually, I think they have it at the deli case my supermarket, but I haven't dared to try it yet...

Wow, I was looking at Nat's website and I think I'm jonesing for a good meatball sub to the point I might go get one tonight! has anyone tried theirs?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

There used to be a place on 10th & Alma that did the crispy thin crusts in a wood oven. Started with a G, but can't for the life of me remember the name. Doesn't matter, gone now.

Bella was my staple in Kits for years - sausage mushroom jalapeno. But I think someone bought it and immediately expanded to 5 locations, and it kind of went downhill shortly thereafter.

Tried Nat's and while I liked it, I don't know if it was worth $20 per pie. Plus it doesn't stack up to NY pizza as I remember it (or maybe it's just nostalgia for NYC). Haven't tried the subs, let us know Deborah.

Nowadays I rarely order pizza because I'm constantly disappointed for some reason (delivery pizza standards too high?!). However, if you're into "offbeat" you can try Camy's, which has selections like "tandoori chicken" (someone mentioned Indian pizza in another thread). Okay, but better cold the next day. Edited to add website link and a note that though the site says Fraser St, I know they have more locations around town and one of the must deliver downtown.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

I really like Pizza Guys (1232 Howe Street, 682-6666) - they do a few pizzas with a garlic cream sauce base that are delicious! I usually end up ordering either the artichoke pizza or the California BBQ Chicken. The pizzas are far from frou-frou, but the prices are good, they deliver, and the garlic cream sauce is addicting.

They're right by the Fitness World at Howe and Davie. That's smart. I bet they pipe pizza smell into the gym to drum up business.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I really like the Rebellious Tomato. They use organic ingredients and offer some great pizzas with thin crusts. they are on 16th and Willow, maybe a tad far from downtown for crispy delivery. I live on 7th and Birch, much closer by and pizzas arrive in great shape.

I can't find a direct web site for them, I got one of their brochures in the mail the other day and decided to give it a try.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

My two favorite places for pizza don't deliver, but I'll list themn nonetheless:

Dockside Restaurant (Granville Island): Amazing Crust, thin, flavourful. Chef Brian Fodor will take the recipe to his grave, I'm afraid.

Nick's Pizza (on 4027 MacDonald): Fantastic Pizza. Haven't been there in a while, but I used to drive all across town for their pizza.

The belly rules the mind.

*sigh* another link to fix:

The Firewood Cafe

I really like this place ... my only complaint is that they only open for dinner. My showroom is one door away from The Firewood and there are times I could really use a pie for lunch!

Camobie & 14th (SE corner) There's parking in the back, just don't hit the green Subaru. It's mine :angry:

A.

Decided to give Firewood Cafe a try tonight for delivery. Well, it's now 1 hour and 20 minutes since I ordered, and still no pizza. Think I'm going to just cancel it. I called at the 50 minute mark, and they said they were "very busy and running late." I didn't think it'd be yet another 30 minutes or more... Sigh. I was looking forward to trying the pizza.

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Decided to give Firewood Cafe a try tonight for delivery.  Well, it's now 1 hour and 20 minutes since I ordered, and still no pizza.  Think I'm going to just cancel it.  I called at the 50 minute mark, and they said they were "very busy and running late."  I didn't think it'd be yet another 30 minutes or more... Sigh.  I was looking forward to trying the pizza.

Humph. It used to just be called the Firewood Oven. Maybe the name upgrade has caused a run on pizzas and a change in attitude. It is good, I must say... I still would rather pick up a number 11 from Lombardos.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Incendio in Gastown is our choice...we can walk there. They do not deliver themselves but a couple of the on-line delivery companies do offer their pizzas for delivery in the downtown area.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Incendio (Gastown or W. 5th) is good but I don't know if they deliver.

Martini  on Broadway has very good pizza but I don't know if they have thin crust.

I tried Martini a few weeks ago, and was deeply disappointed. The crust was thicka and doughy, and the overall quality was pretty mediochre.

The belly rules the mind.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. As my search for great delivery pizza dwindles, as of yesterday I just ordered my Fibrament-D baking stone. While I would absolutely love the convenience of being able to order and have delivered a perfect, crisp, steaming, pizza pie ..... I am realizing that to get what I want, it's going to need to come from my oven. Man I guess I really am a picky old SOB. :laugh:

I'm still not giving up the good fight in finding something downtown ....

• 7 months later...

To paraphrase Martin Luther King....I have a dream.

I have a dream that one day I'll wake up, go for a walk, and find that a little pizzeria has opened it's doors in my neighbouhood. Not so small that you couldn't stop in for a slice, but not so big that you wouldn't get to know the owner by name and he or she would remember you ("Hey, it's the Triple-Cheese-Olives-Pepperoni-Mushrooms Guy!"). They do take-out and home delivery, and they wouldn't dream of doing any kind of 2-for-1 specials. In my dream the pizza has a thick-but-still-airy crust, chunky toppings that actually have flavour, and the cheese is thick and gooey, but never runny. Oh, and the sauce...the sauce is full of rich tomato flavour with lots of oregano and garlic.

I have a dream.....

I've tried more than 20 different pizza places in Vancouver in the year-and-half I've lived here, without success, and yet the dream refuses to die. Da Francesco's pizza certinaly fit the bill, but they didn't do home delivery and are now gone. Lombardo's and Incendio's come close, but they don't deliver either and the latter's crust is a little mushy.

I have a dream.....

So today, while driving along Cambie Street, my dream was reborn. A new little pizzeria has just opened. It's the right size, it's in my neighbourhood, and they deliver. I've had a blissful afternoon thinking of the excitement I'll feel when the telephone rings, signifying the delivery man has arrived at the gate. Dreaming of the smell wafting from the box on the way up the elevator. Dreaming of that first fearful moment when you open the box - did all the cheese stick to the box? Is the cheese so runny that you can no longer see the slices? And then, that moment when you lift the first piece from the pie, all that stringy cheese refusing to let the slice go.

I have a dream.....

Only 2 more hours to go, and we'll see if my dream is realized, or shattered.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com