• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pappardelle with duck sauce

ecr

This was probably the most memorable dish I had on a recent trip to Italy (in Sienna) --- the sauce had duck and black olives, probably some tomato but not much, definately some wine (I think). I have a huge collection of Italian cookbooks but no recipe within (and I have no idea how one would prepare a duck to be used in sauce anyway) ... I've been thinking about this dish since I got home -- any help appreciated. I can google but it'd be great to have a tried and true recipe.

(And since anyone reading this is probably a cook of Italian food --- can I substitute Spanish dried salt cod for boccafisso in a recipe eg boccafisso allo Genovese?)

Mario Batali had one on his older version of Molto Mario. And, searching the FoodTV site, I see that it's no longer available. Here's a similar one with bigoli, just substitute papardelle.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_17148,00.html

I'd think there wouldn't be a problem substituting Spanish salt cod for Italian varieties.

And since anyone reading this is probably a cook of Italian food --- can I substitute Spanish dried salt cod for boccafisso in a recipe eg boccafisso allo Genovese?

I guess you're referring to stoccafisso when you say boccafisso, right?

You could try using salted cod, and you'd probably end up with a very good dish anyway, but it's not the same thing. Stoccafisso, aka stockfisk in Norwegian, is dried UNSALTED cod, while baccalà/baccalau/klippfisk is the salted kind. There is a difference in taste, texture and notably price between the two. If using the salted kind I would de-salt it very carefully and adjust salt accordingly in the recipe.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

I think I've posted this before, but...Corti Brothers in Sacramento will ship you both stoccafisso and baccala. Phone 916 736 3800. When I ordered baccala they sent me a several page of essays regarding both dried fish, their similarities and differences. Engrossing.

• 2 weeks later...

The duck ragu? I printed Mario's recipe (thank you) and then ran into a bit of a problem ... it's rather difficult to find whole (uncooked) ducks right now in Saigon bec. of bird flu. I'm waiting for my grocer's next shipment of duck breasts from France ... not the same as a whole bird, I know, but I'll give it a try.

Kevin72's right. You want to make this with the meat from duck legs, thighs, wings and backs. The breasts are best fried, grilled or roasted rare or used in preparations like duck prosciutto or smoked duck breast. If duck and other dark-fleshed birds like quail are hard to come by, you could substitute hare or rabbit.

One doesn't hear about rabbit in Vietnamese food though I'm sure it must be eaten (everything else is :laugh: ) .... but I'd be a bit squeamish about searching for it here as it would require a detour to that part of the market where lots of various critters --- like the types that are a part of my household --- are sold.

I'll be visiting family in the US next month ... think I'll commandeer a family member or two's kitchen and sate my duck sauce lust there.