• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian sweet and sour sauces?

A good friend of mine has been raving about some Indian sweet and sour dishes that she had while she was in India, but I can't find any recipes of the sort and her not being a 'food fanatic', didn't ask the names of the dishes either.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks very much! :)

Am sitting with bated breath in anticipation of replies as this is a category of dish I've only just discovered thanks to a fabulous recipe in Atul Kochhar's Indian Essence: tenga, a sweet and sour fish curry from Assam (East India), replete with bamboo shoots, star anise and kaffir lime leaves.

another possibility is the godju category of dishes

from southern india:

okra or onion/tomato or eggplant are the typical ones.

it ends up with spices + tamarind + jaggery

into a yummy hot-sweet-sour dish.

milagai

• 3 weeks later...
A good friend of mine has been raving about some Indian sweet and sour dishes that she had while she was in India, but I can't find any recipes of the sort and her not being a 'food fanatic', didn't ask the names of the dishes either.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks very much! :)

there's also a category of kashmiri dishes that are sweet and sour. Probably the most common is 'Choek Vangan' or sour eggplant. However, the same basic sauce is used with radish, lotus root, and prehaps my favorite, trout.

Here's a couple links to recipes of this type

http://www.koshursaal.com/recipe/chuk_nadur.html

http://www.koausa.org/Cookbook/100.html