• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hole in the Wall Restaurants

DarkDante

Plus, it's not a cheap little hole in the wall anymore.  It was bloody expensive!

Da Francesco's for me thank you!

I'm with you on that one sistah! The prices at Nick's horrify me, especially vis-a-vis the food quality and the prices at Da Francesco just three minutes away.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Nick's on Commercial and ??? Hastings I think. I'm sure many of you know the place....fantastic Italian food....I highly recommend the Lasagna or ravioli with Spareribs.

mmmmm...nick's! sooooooo good! it's been a long time but i think i'm going to have to go there soon. they have a really good lasagne! and i love their spaghetti and meatballs... very authentic ....

Nick's?? Really? I'll give you Nick's over Anton's, but gimme Da Francesco or Osterio Napoli anyday. At the risk of seeing a return of da' boyz from Nick's in these forums fitting me for concrete shoes :shock: I'd say Nick's may have been da' place, but it's living on reputation alone now.

A.

seriously? it's been a long time since i've been there... probably a couple of years at least.. i'm SO disappointed. where the heck am i going to get my authentic italian homecooked pasta fix now???

Nick's on Commercial and ??? Hastings I think. I'm sure many of you know the place....fantastic Italian food....I highly recommend the Lasagna or ravioli with Spareribs.

mmmmm...nick's! sooooooo good! it's been a long time but i think i'm going to have to go there soon. they have a really good lasagne! and i love their spaghetti and meatballs... very authentic ....

Nick's?? Really? I'll give you Nick's over Anton's, but gimme Da Francesco or Osterio Napoli anyday. At the risk of seeing a return of da' boyz from Nick's in these forums fitting me for concrete shoes :shock: I'd say Nick's may have been da' place, but it's living on reputation alone now.

A.

seriously? it's been a long time since i've been there... probably a couple of years at least.. i'm SO disappointed. where the heck am i going to get my authentic italian homecooked pasta fix now???

Da Francesco's!!

Address for Da Francesco is 2671 East Hastings, 1/2 a block east of Slocan. We're heading there tonight!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Address for Da Francesco is 2671 East Hastings, 1/2 a block east of Slocan.  We're heading there tonight!

We're planning be there as well around 7:15 or so. :laugh: We have some friends who have been wanting to go for awhile and it worked out for tonight.

See you there! :cool:

Look for the family with the really cute preschool-age boy as shown in my avatar, or listen for the people making lipsmacking noises while consuming vast quantites of osso bucco and penne in rose sauce.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Has anyone been to the Nemoto Café at 3132 West Broadway, lately? A friend of mine used to have breakfast there all the time but I haven't talked to him in a few years since he moved out of town.

I'd be curious to know what it's like these days and was wondering about it when I drove by the other day.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Has anyone been to the Nemoto Café at 3132 West Broadway, lately?  A friend of mine used to have breakfast there all the time but I haven't talked to him in a few years since he moved out of town. 

I'd be curious to know what it's like these days and was wondering about it when I drove by the other day.

Definitely fits the description of a hole in the wall (there isn't even a sign outside the cafe) but the food is good. We had breakfast a couple of weeks ago and the hash browns was perfect IMO, pan fried to a nice golden brown. But their opening hours is somewhat limited - 9 am to 4 pm and closed either Tuesday or Wednesday. And be prepared for your clothes to soak up the grease coming from the grills. Their ventilation system seems to be opening the front door! :huh:

I used to love going to the Cottage on Commercial Drive. haven't been for a long time, but I know its still there. Run by a Portuguese family. They do a fabulous bacalao and their burgers were awesome as I recall.

Anyone been lately?

S

I used to love going to the Cottage on Commercial Drive. haven't been for a long time, but I know its still there. Run by a Portuguese family. They do a fabulous bacalao and their burgers were awesome as I recall.

Anyone been lately?

S

Anyone been lately?

S

Hmmm, perhaps a scouting trip for a future Burger Club outing is in order.....

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I'm a big fan of Krua Thai in North Van. They've great curries and the Poh Teun, a sort of sea food medley served on a sizzle plate, is fantastic.

How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?

• 1 month later...

Although not a hole in the wall the hot torta subs at duffins on main and 33rd are addictive, I order them 3 at a time, those of you that know me, know i speak the truth. :biggrin::shock:

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage