• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guava Paste

Liza

It comes in a round, flat tin, and looks like it would be fine to serve with cheese, in place of membrillo as it has that wobbly quality.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Liza, the experience I have with guava paste is singular, but very good.  Are things less good for being singular?  Compare/contrast.  Discuss.

At a Cuban restaurant we have frequented in the past they make as a breakfast side dish something like French toast with guava paste in the middle of two slices of bread, dipped in egg and grilled.  Really really good, may I say.  And that's not even to ADDRESS, on account of them being the dread off-topic, the black beans and rice and Cuban coffee.

That the restaurant is on the minty-mint 1880sish traffic circle where Tom Hanks correctly filmed scenes from  That Thing You Do, and where one, sitting at a sidewalk table, world-weary as hell in sunglasses of choice, is almost guaranteed the chance to wave at local firemen making the circumlocution in one of their various humunguous rigs, is merely secondary.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Oh.

Yum yum YUMMY, Priscilla. But...dare I...what I combined both you and Sandra's ideas and ...made a sandwich of manchego and guava pasta, and then grilled it... (sound of head exploding)

There's a bakery not too far down the road from where I live that carries pastries filled with all kinds of interesting things, including guava paste. I imagine puff pastry pinwheels with guava paste and cream cheese sprinkled with slivered almonds could be quite tasty.

Said bakery sucks, but then I didn't try a guava pastry and maybe they aren't so bad. (They clearly use a bunch of commercial dreck in there. Everything I sampled had that waxy-chemically flavor to it like the bakery goods available in North Carolina in the late 1970s that I recall.)

Oh.

Yum yum YUMMY, Priscilla. But...dare I...what I combined both you and Sandra's ideas and ...made a sandwich of manchego and guava pasta, and then grilled it... (sound of head exploding)

All right.  What she said.  Sometimes there's those things that you just KNOW all at the onct are going to be so good it's not even FUNNY.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

It was far too dangerous an undertaking to...undertake without proper supervision, and D. had a meeting. So. We reschedule for Sunday, as I can get my favorite ciabatta or dare I think it, (nay, write it!) challah bread from Tribeca Oven...